Windshield Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I recently had to replace the windshield in my 05 Tahoe and of course I just made an appointment with Safelite where they pulled the broken one out and installed a new one for the tune of $330 bucks. What I didn't realize was that there was going to be a tremendous amount of wind noise that is now present at anything over 50 miles an hour... 90% of my driving is highway speeds at 70 or more and now I have to deal with this...

I'm curious, did I make a mistake by going to Safelite, did they use a cheaper glass, did they install it incorrectly, what could be causing all of this extra noise? Thanks for any insight...

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely have them check it out and see what is going on.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 01 Tahoe’s windshield replaced twice so far by my local safelite, no complaints at all. Take it back and express your concerns. A seal isn’t right somewhere I am guessing. Both times I went you would have never known it was done except for a chip / crack free windshield.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be something as simple as the trim not being the right one for the vehicle or maybe it is not fully seated somewhere. If an edge is sticking up just a tiny bit, you might get all kinds of whistling at higher speeds.

Maybe grabbed the wrong seal when heading out for your job? Possible. Slight difference in profile could deflect air in a way that it shouldn't.

If installed outside in cold weather, the seal may not have stiffened up and was unable to fully relax and lay down flat. Corners is where that would be a possible problem.

I would expect they would start with inspecting the seal around the outside before jumping in with another full replacement. If they can't get the seal to seat correctly, they may redo the seal and see if that cures your issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
davidbeaver1

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in following up on the status of my windshield. Safelite sent a guy out to my house who was VERY knowledgeable about the GMT800's. He and I went for a ride and within a mile, he said "Yep, I know what's wrong". He pulled the side trim off of the windshield and add some sealant at the top two corners, then reinstalled the trim. We went for another ride and everything was back to normal and quiet! He said that most of the installers don't know about having to add that to the windshield when doing the install. I was very happy with his ability to quickly resolve the issue. All good! Thanks for everyone's guidance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076