Will 20" work on Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mnjeepmale

Reaction score
I have a '01 Tahoe LT stock wheels. I have some 20" XD Badlands sitting in my garage that I removed from my '15 Tahoe.
I need new tires on my '01 Tahoe. Will these 20" XD wheels work?

One tire shop said they won't work and another one said it will.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what the requirements might be for +/- on wheel offset, but I bought mine with 20" Torque Thrust wheels already on it.

The tires were pretty low profile, though...

They were 285/50 R20 Yokohama Parada all-season sport treads.
The fit in the wheel wells with no lift. Tough to slip fingers in front or back near the fender. It was pretty tight on front and back sides. Top had enough clearance for street driving. Not sure how it would have done trying to flex on a trail. My guess is that tires would probably get sliced up on on the fenders a really rough trail without making extra clearance around the wheel openings or adding suspension lift of 2-3".

Wheel offset will determine how much they will rub when the steering wheel is turned in tight turns. I had no spacers on the hubs (not sure I would want them anyway), so mine did rub a little on really hard cuts on the steering wheel. I soon learned how much I could crank the wheels in tight parking lot or U-turns. I just stopped turning that hard to avoid tire scrubs on the frame.

The bigger rims did look sporty and cool. Torque Thrust were some nice rims for sure.

The 285/50 R20 tires just had too little sidewall and the sport street tread in that width was just too slick for my taste, having to drive in sloppy New England winters. I eventually went back to the Z71 stock 265/70 R17. Better wet and winter traction with all-terrains in this narrower width. Wide sport treads are like sliding on banana peels on wet/slushy/snowy roads. Also... our famous pothole season is like 9 months out of the year, so for me having nice fat sidewalls to soak up the kidney-busting craters is more important than having sleek sporty low profiles on there!

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A600C2C3-F596-4C0C-8522-04088E60F899.jpeg977DC016-E737-4A9B-B7D4-322F9DDF6379.jpeg

These were off my BIL’s 2018 Silverado. I think the offset is a little less than my 2004 Tahoe OEM 17” were. At full lock in reverse if I go too fast, I get a little rub but other than that are great. Need to see if there’s an appropriate setting in the Tech2 to correct the speedo.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 387681View attachment 387682

These were off my BIL’s 2018 Silverado. I think the offset is a little less than my 2004 Tahoe OEM 17” were. At full lock in reverse if I go too fast, I get a little rub but other than that are great. Need to see if there’s an appropriate setting in the Tech2 to correct the speedo.
That is a nice set from the 2018!
When I was last poking around in the Tech 2 menus, I saw the option to change the tire size from the 265/70 R16 to the 265/70 R17. I don't recall seeing options that let you pick other sizes on the Tech 2. Seemed like you could change it from the smaller to the larger, but only the two sizes available from the factory. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure there were only two things to pick from.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a nice set from the 2018!
When I was last poking around in the Tech 2 menus, I saw the option to change the tire size from the 265/70 R16 to the 265/70 R17. I don't recall seeing options that let you pick other sizes on the Tech 2. Seemed like you could change it from the smaller to the larger, but only the two sizes available from the factory. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure there were only two things to pick from.
It may have been 245/70 R16 and 265/70 R17... I recall there was my size and the smaller (non-Z71) size. It didn't look like there was an "other" option to punch anything in like 33 or 35. I could be wrong. Happens plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts