Wide band O2 location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, new member but been lurking for a while now. I’m adding a Whipple Gen V kit to my 2018 Tahoe RST when it arrives.

I bought an Innovative PSB-1 AFR and boost gauge. I have a few questions:
1) where should I have a bung installed for most accurate AFR? I realize I’ll only be looking at one bank of cyl
2)Where should I get my boost reference for the gauge?
3)Which wires do I tap into by the driver foot area to get the lights/switched power/etc for this gauge? I’m good with wiring just need to know what wires are what I need. I’m extremely handy with a soldering iron. But don’t know the Pino it’s of the Tahoe

Thanks all!

Jon

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 1 WB sensor you want to be shortly after the y merge so you get both banks on the reading. Typically the sensor MFR will give instructions on where they want it located.

Should be an unused port on the back of the manifold you can use for the boost ref.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new member but been lurking for a while now. I’m adding a Whipple Gen V kit to my 2018 Tahoe RST when it arrives.

I bought an Innovative PSB-1 AFR and boost gauge. I have a few questions:
1) where should I have a bung installed for most accurate AFR? I realize I’ll only be looking at one bank of cyl
2)Where should I get my boost reference for the gauge?
3)Which wires do I tap into by the driver foot area to get the lights/switched power/etc for this gauge? I’m good with wiring just need to know what wires are what I need. I’m extremely handy with a soldering iron. But don’t know the Pino it’s of the Tahoe

Thanks all!

Jon
I have the same sensor but have not installed it yet. Instructions on page 7 states before the catalytic converter and between 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock. Preferably at 12:00.
Goat rope garage has a decent video of where he put his wide band.
Whipple should have a plug port on the aft side for using as a boost/vacuum reference point for your gauge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J5races

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only 1 WB sensor you want to be shortly after the y merge so you get both banks on the reading. Typically the sensor MFR will give instructions on where they want it located.

Should be an unused port on the back of the manifold you can use for the boost ref.

But that would be after the primary cats right. Isn’t that bad because cats change the oxygen reading?

OP
OP
J5races

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same sensor but have not installed it yet. Instructions on page 7 states before the catalytic converter and between 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock. Preferably at 12:00.
Goat rope garage has a decent video of where he put his wide band.
Whipple should have a plug port on the aft side for using as a boost/vacuum reference point for your gauge.
I don’t have the parts yet. All on order. Been saving up for the whipple for a while now.

Anyone know about the wiring?

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the parts yet. All on order. Been saving up for the whipple for a while now.

Anyone know about the wiring?
This looks like a good spot.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also found this for wiring to make the gauge work at night.

Attachments

• headlight wiring diagram3.JPG
    headlight wiring diagram3.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
  • headlight wiring diagram2.JPG
    headlight wiring diagram2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 1
  • headlight wiring diagram.JPG
    headlight wiring diagram.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And Power Distribution wiring diagrams.

Attachments

• Power Distribution10.JPG
    Power Distribution10.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Power Distribution9.JPG
    Power Distribution9.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution8.JPG
    Power Distribution8.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution7.JPG
    Power Distribution7.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Power Distribution6.JPG
    Power Distribution6.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the rest.....

Attachments

• Power Distribution5.JPG
    Power Distribution5.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution4.JPG
    Power Distribution4.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution3.JPG
    Power Distribution3.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution2.JPG
    Power Distribution2.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Power Distribution1.JPG
    Power Distribution1.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 1

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have long tubes?

Do you still have secondary cats? If so, just put it in the secondary cat.

Are you wanting the wideband permanently mounted inside the cab? If so run the wires through the firewall.

I just plug mine in and hook my laptop up when I want to data log (cord ran through the window and painters tape holding it along the door so it’s not flapping in the wind) and then unplug it all when I’m done. Power for my AEM wideband is supplied through the 12v cigarette lighter.
Don’t need a permanent AFR gauge hooked up personally.