Why PPV / SSV vs civilian released models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Special Service Vehicle vs. Police Pursuit Vehicle. The “pursuit” part is the one I’d be looking for. :naughty:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PPV comes in both 2WD and 4WD. The SSV model is still around buts it’s 4WD drive only. They both share many of the same features and options, with the main exception being the PPV‘s 9C1 (pursuit related features) package.
I see. I was under the impression that there was not a 4x4 PPV version until recently?

SavageDad

Reaction score
I’ve used a PPV for overlanding for several years. It’s really nice to have the rubber flooring and not worry too much about dirty shoes when hopping in.
Fortunately I've got a portable carpet cleaner because with six people in and out with all this Southern California rain the carpets are wrecked. I do envy the rubber floors though and my butt seriously wishes there was a cloth seat option.

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
I drive a pretty dangerous stretch of interstate to work every day. If I'm in my BMW, everyone wants to cut me off, tailgate, do stupid stuff in traffic, etc. For some reason, I don't have this issue in the Tahoe. Its the same color the Highway Patrol here uses, that might have something to do with it (shrug).

It also handles great (mine's a 4wd) and I need something to haul a lot of gear around with, so its a win. I've added leather, carpet, and heated seats to make it more comfortable, slowly updating the electronics as I go. At some point I'll remove the antenna farm from the roof (its got about 5 different plastic boxes on it) and repaint the roof, but as long as they're not leaking, I have other priorities.

I had a white 2009 SSV before this one, and it started having "high mile Tahoe" issues, so I sold it in the middle of the pandemic madness and got this '15 for under $20K, which I thought was a bargain in the used truck market at the time. It had been sitting for a while at the dealer because it was a K9 truck previously and still had the cage, console, rifle rack, etc. in it. Most people don't want to deal with that stuff, but I ended up selling everything I didn't want (except for the three dog's worth of extra hair) and paid for the rear seat/ door panels/ carpet with the proceeds, so yeah, cost was also a factor.

Last edited:

PBR Street Gang

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you are not purchasing for law enforcement purposes...why would you want one of these models vs a civilian model? What am I missing here?
Heavy duty brakes and suspension parts, transmission and engine fluid coolers. Dual batteries. Larger alternator. Fewer comfort options, so fewer things to go wrong as it ages. Rubber flooring is durable and easy to clean. The exterior of the PPV/SSV has a cleaner look without a lot of name badging and emblems - I know it's a Tahoe. I bought it. High production numbers means cheaper parts. Have you tried to repair a Caprice?

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are not purchasing for law enforcement purposes ... why would you want one of these models vs a civilian model?
What am I missing here?
Ever driven a Police Pursuit Vehicle?
A 2.5ton SUV that handles like an overweight sports car is a joy, especially going nowhere for the hell of it.

(Although I'll never get why PPVs / SSVs only get a 5.3L, instead of 6.0L or 6.2L. For shame, GM.)

Ever clean the entire interior of a PPV / SSV clean in under 10 min with a garden hose and a towel?
I bet it'd be even more fun to dry one out with a leafblower. Can't do that with leather fabric and carpeting.

There are other reasons, most of which have nothing to do with actively impersonating an officer.
(Was unimpressed with that forum discussion.
Too many looking for an excuse to unnecessarily take offense where none was intended.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26