Whining noise from speakers with rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidfranklin1997

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe I replaced the factory radio and added an amp and all new door speakers. I have all door speakers running to my amp. I’m getting a whine noise when the truck is running and it gets louder with rpm’s I can turn radio off and it goes away I can unplug my rca cables from amp the whine is still there. I have been going through all my grounds but can not figure out where it is coming from. Any help will be welcomed. Thank you.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Mine was fixed by changing out the rear ac/entertainment controls on the back of the center console
Try looking into that possibly?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe I replaced the factory radio and added an amp and all new door speakers. I have all door speakers running to my amp. I’m getting a whine noise when the truck is running and it gets louder with rpm’s I can turn radio off and it goes away I can unplug my rca cables from amp the whine is still there. I have been going through all my grounds but can not figure out where it is coming from. Any help will be welcomed. Thank you.
how did you run the wires?
power wires are usually ran down the drivers side and rca's/speaker wire are ran down the right
rca's should be shielded type
if you ran them together and/or did not use shielded rca's that is likely the source of your noise

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
I’ll take a stab……… does the amp power on with a remote wire from the head unit? If yes, this is why the whine goes away when head is off, but is still present when RCAs disconnected. The signal interference is at the amp. I’m not a huge audiophile, but my brother was. It will have something to do with the wire routing, where you are drawing the power or ground, and possibly what other wires are running nearby. You could also insert a noise filter, but I’m not sure where you wire that in. Maybe not as helpful as it sounded in my head.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have disconnected all RCA cables from the head unit to the amp, and you still get the whine, I'd say that your amp is defective.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have disconnected all RCA cables from the head unit to the amp, and you still get the whine, I'd say that your amp is defective.
it really depends on how the wires are routed, if the wires are ran together and the engine is running it could pick up the electrical noise
an amp just creating electrical whine for no reason would be pretty rare for car audio anyway, in any case it boils down to the ground, a ground loop isolator can "sometimes" fix the problem but it can only do so much. A ground always takes the shortest route.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it really depends on how the wires are routed, if the wires are ran together and the engine is running it could pick up the electrical noise
an amp just creating electrical whine for no reason would be pretty rare for car audio anyway, in any case it boils down to the ground, a ground loop isolator can "sometimes" fix the problem but it can only do so much. A ground always takes the shortest route.
Even if you run the wires together, which I would never do, if the RCA cables are disconnected at both the head unit and the amp, they are no longer in the equation for whine, which is why I recommended that test.

Hopefully, the OP grounded the amp to a solid chassis connection, as close to the amp as practical.

OP
OP
D

Davidfranklin1997

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have only the power wire ram on the driver side everything else is ram on my passenger side. I have my ground not long at all and goes straight to the chassis to the amp. I just had the amp in my other car and had no problem with it. As the push the gas it whine gets louder I’ve re checked all my grounds. I went to reground my head unit and still no help could it be the interface I’m using has a bad ground inside of it ?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WAG: one thing to verify is the ground strap between the driver's side head and the underside of the hood.

OP
OP
D

Davidfranklin1997

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had the amp in my other vehicle and had no problems with it at all it only occurs when the vehicle is running