Which Yukon year to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuchamps08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

We are pretty dead set on a 2021 + Yukon Denali 6.2. I am reading conflicting issues about what year has the lifter issues. I’ve read it was “earlier” produced 2021 models but later are ok. I’ve read 2022 have lifter issues. I just don’t want to buy into a $70K + vehicle with these issues.

Also, I want to buy a warranty to help preemptively attack the potential issues referenced above. I’ve read buy GM only or nothing. Local dealers claim they don’t sel GM warranties because “they don’t cover claims”. I suspect this is bs, they want to sell their shady 3rd party ones because GM warranties pay out shit to their shops on warranty work.

Any help in deciding would be much appreciated!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM warranty only, they are trying to peddle theirs, more profit. There are Dealers listed on this forum that offer discounted warranty pricing, do a search.

OP
OP
K

Kuchamps08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM warranty only, they are trying to peddle theirs, more profit. There are Dealers listed on this forum that offer discounted warranty pricing, do a search.
Ok great. I will search for that for sure. Any advice on the realiability or consensus on lifter issues or major mechanical issues to avoid?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General consensus is to keep the oil changed on a regular basis to help prevent lifter issues, there are a few with issues but based on the total number of vehicles built it is a very small percentage that are affected.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s a bit of a mixed bag. There are 2021’s and 2022’s that have/had lifter issues, but it should still be covered under warranty regardless.

2021’s: analog dash, in general no missing features.
2022’s: digital dash, lots may have missing features (front/rear park assist, lumbar support, etc.). Some features will be retrofitted, others will not. Check the window sticker to make sure.

Depending on where you live and what features you’re looking for, you may not find many 6.2 Denalis for $70k. Fully-loaded variants are still in the $80k+ range according to cars.com, so you may find a lesser-equipped but brand-new 2023 for cheaper.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is buy at least a vehicle produced after June of 2022.
Change the oil regularly (5-6k miles max in normal weather, more frequent if doing a bunch of short trips, cold weather, etc) Cheap insurance -- probably overkill a bit, but cheap insurance.
You are not going to find a 2021+ Denali for sub $70k unless the mileage is really high or it is well beat up. Perhaps consider a lower trim level, or plan on spending closer to $80k, esp after buying a service contract.

FWIW, the dealer I purchased from "includes" a "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" on any vehicle purchased from them with less than 80k miles on it...I realize it is baked into the pricing; but you don't have to haggle or get hosed in the finance office for it. I have read the contract thoroughly, and it indeed covers the buyer, for unlimited miles, all the internally lubricated parts, gaskets, and seals, on the engine, transfer case, and front and rear differentials. Given the "lifter risk" (which I still believe to be a less than 1% problem), it is great peace of mind. I am sure there are other dealers out there who offer this as well...otherwise, like you say, buy a service contract if you want to mitigate risk.

OP
OP
K

Kuchamps08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I apprecaite all of the replies. I will ask for the build date on the door and the build date on the engine. I think the standard GM warranty and the extended warranty will keep us on the road and keep them out of my pocket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz