Which should I do? Replace door hinge, fix roller or nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have done the hinges? Mine need the lower replaced. Any advice on the process?
Yes. I’ve done them on all of our NNBS vehicles.

It’s pretty straightforward. I use a Jack with a rag or towel to support the outer edge of the door when the hinge is removed. Having a second pair of hands is helpful as well, but not required. I’ve done it solo and with assistance.

It’s kind of tricky finagling a socket or wrench to the various bolts. I use a 1/4” drive socket with various lengths of extensions and a ratcheting swivel box wrench.

When the new hinge is on, I’d snug up a couple of the bolts and check for alignment and adjust as necessary. Once you’re good there, tighten them all up.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit it with penetrating oil - liquid wrench, PB blaster, etc - several times, over several days. I have 2 trucks, and all 8 original rollers still spin freely.

When one starts to freeze up, I hit it again and that's good for another few months to a year.

Two things I've noticed that contribute heavily to rapid seizing of the roller - being parked outside and frequency of use.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random question. A couple of my doors are rattling at low speeds going over bumps.
Does this have anything to do with the pin/roller/hinge or more with the striker?
&
I replaced my pin in my drivers door once and now the new one (now old because it's been a while) makes so much noise and the bushing is gouged so it wont roll. Should I replace the pin again or replace the hinge? I have it down to a science replacing them haha.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The rattle could be the striker area but also could be because of the hinge pins/bushings. How old is the last set?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only replaced the drivers, all the rest I believe are original.
It's been a couple of years, I guess. The bushing is definitely all jacked up. I should've lubricated inside the bushing instead of outside of it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a door rattle and found an attachment spot inside the door for the regulator has a loose nut/bolt.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check them out this week.
I'll post back what I find out.

Thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645