Which should I do? Replace door hinge, fix roller or nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,
The hinge is cheaper than roller pin. Should I change the hinge? Is it easier to work on hinge?
If I don't fix it, will the door be damaged? If it is only noisy, I will leave it for now.
Thank you for the advice.
Regards.

Image_20220911122407.jpg

Image_20220911123059.png

Attachments

• Image_20220911122407.jpg
    Image_20220911122407.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Image_20220911123059.png
    Image_20220911123059.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 6

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ve heard the same as above, however, knock on wood, when I arranged to have the body shop guy replace a horribly noisy pass door hinge, he didn’t do it. He sprayed it with one of those super penetrating lubes.

I tried oil & WD40 in the past. The body shop was right. After over a year, the door is buttery smooth, quiet and cured. I’m glad I was wrong about my assumption. I lived with that noisy hinge for over a year and I owe him dearly for his honesty.

Reaction score
Unless the roller is actually broken/cracked then usually what happens is the hole in the roller where the shaft runs gets gunked up and keeps the roller from rolling. Then the sprung hinge part that rides on the roller slides across it, creating the noise.

I've found using something like brake parts cleaner in that area to get it cleaned up so it's rolling freely again, then using a dry lubricant on the shaft only (not on the roller). Also I'll use a pry bar or large screwdriver to press against that notched sprung part to hold it slightly off the roller so I can spin the roller with my fingers to help get the gunk out and the roller freed up.

EDIT TO ADD PIC
Here's a pic of how I use a large screwdriver to take the spring pressure off the roller to be able to roll it manually with the fingers of my other hand. Pushing screwdriver handle outward toward door will press the detent plate away from the roller.

20220912_162031.jpg

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard the same as above, however, knock on wood, when I arranged to have the body shop guy replace a horribly noisy pass door hinge, he didn’t do it. He sprayed it with one of those super penetrating lubes.

I tried oil & WD40 in the past. The body shop was right. After over a year, the door is buttery smooth, quiet and cured. I’m glad I was wrong about my assumption. I lived with that noisy hinge for over a year and I owe him dearly for his honesty.
I sprayed mine down with chain lube and it's been quiet ever since.

OP
OP
N

novemberr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. My roller does not rotate any more. The pin is kind of bend so the roller sticks.
I will try to push spring away and try to rotate the roller. Appreciate your kind help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505