Which Scan Tool to depressurize?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have to change my leveling compressor and thought that I could just remove the hoses from the shocks to switch, but the instructions are saying that I need to depressurize the system using a 'scan tool'. What kind of scan tool are they referring to? is this something that I can do with an iCarsoft i900, or do I need a real OEM scan tool like a Tech 2?

I'm installing a Dorman unit after troubleshooting for other possible issues. shocks just replaced recently with genuine GM parts - should have just done the compressor at the same time. Oh well.

Thanks!.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have to change my leveling compressor and thought that I could just remove the hoses from the shocks to switch, but the instructions are saying that I need to depressurize the system using a 'scan tool'. What kind of scan tool are they referring to? is this something that I can do with an iCarsoft i900, or do I need a real OEM scan tool like a Tech 2?

I'm installing a Dorman unit after troubleshooting for other possible issues. shocks just replaced recently with genuine GM parts - should have just done the compressor at the same time. Oh well.

Thanks!.
Hmmm......

First I’ve ever heard of this. I have changed a number of these on my NNBS vehicles and never depressurized any of them.

Will be interested to hear what folks that have the NBS rigs have to say.
:popcorn:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just pull the connector off, presuming the pump or shocks were blown there probably isn't any pressure in it anyway, even if there is it just blows a little air out when you pull it off no biggie. normal operating pressure is around 20psi nothing dangerous.

after you are all done working on it they say you should re-calibrate it which requires a tech2 but that's optional it will still work fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ncuke

ncuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just pull the connector off, presuming the pump or shocks were blown there probably isn't any pressure in it anyway, even if there is it just blows a little air out when you pull it off no biggie. normal operating pressure is around 20psi nothing dangerous.

after you are all done working on it they say you should re-calibrate it which requires a tech2 but that's optional it will still work fine.
Thanks Doubeleive. I have seen in specs for the compressor the max psi is 135 or 150, so was thinking that it would be up to that unless there is a check valve in the shock that only lets in incremental pressure. I've let out air from my nail gun compressor at 150psi and it's pretty violent. My rear shocks are new and in-tact...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Doubeleive. I have seen in specs for the compressor the max psi is 135 or 150, so was thinking that it would be up to that unless there is a check valve in the shock that only lets in incremental pressure. I've let out air from my nail gun compressor at 150psi and it's pretty violent. My rear shocks are new and in-tact...
ya I think that would only be under certain circumstances like with a fully loaded trailer hooked up and with the system pressurized for the weight, that was one of the ways I found out my pump was defective it would give readings all over the place from 18-180psi when it clearly was not under a load

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn’t that big of a deal. Just unhook the air from the shock and it’ll be depressurized. There isn’t that much pressure.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
150psi on a 3/8” hose vs 150psi on a 1/8 line is drastically different. Much less stored energy in the smaller lines. I personally would think twice about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9