Which Power Steering Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
I just had a brand new GM hydraulic brake booster installed and the power steering fluid is now pinkish in color. The fluid I was using before was Prestone and it had a clear color.
My question is, did they put the right kind of fluid in?

Last edited:

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my ac Delco fluid was pink or red in color. I would be more concerned with the clear prestone fluid, sounds like that could have been ‘universal’

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clear to clear with slight yellow tint is normal for regular modern brake fluids.

The Prestone used by the OP would likely have been DOT 3 or DOT 4.
DOT 4 has a higher boiling and flash point than 3, but either is fine for your truck and can be mixed together without any issue.

If Delco was pink/red, maybe there was some of that left in the system that finally burped out and found its way back to the reservoir.

Maybe they didn't bleed the ABS...

Hydroboost brakes, power steering fluid. (Not the brake fluid.)

OP
OP
Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Reaction score
There was a leak from the weep hole in the original hydraulic break booster so I had it replaced (that was 4 days ago). Today I checked the power steering fluid level and the dip stick is dry. I wiped all around the booster looking for a leak, but it's dry.
Would mixing different power steering fluids cause another leak somewhere else?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It shouldn't, but the system may not have been fully bled. Look on your receipt or ask the shop that did the work which fluid they added. Get more and top it off, and check it regularly. Or take it back to the shop.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that I have been watching guys on youtube bleed their power system with the engine always running. GM says to keep the engine off....
I have PDF Field Service Manuals. But, for some reason, I can't find the section referenced as "Power Steering Pump Replacement".

In case it helps people with Hydroboost brakes... Similar instructions, but involves pumping the brake pedal at a certain part of the process.
Autozone has some additional notes for the Tahoe regarding systems Hydroboost brakes, which need to draw fluid from the power steering system. They have some notes about pumping brake pedal to bleed out the Hydroboost master cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada