Where to mount light bar switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be installing a small light bar as soon as it warms up a bit. I'm looking for the best place to mount the switch. In past vehicles there was usually some flat area or a few empty knockouts where I could put it. There doesn't seem to be a place like this on my 2010. About the best I can come up with is on the knee bolster panel. My only concern is that its a bit curved, so not sure how flush it will mount. Has anyone come up with any better or creative ideas?

9.jpg 13.jpg 16.jpg

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
@Austinite just installed a wireless remote harness on his and programmed the remote to his Homelink (garage door opener) buttons in the console above the rear view mirror.

Perhaps he will post a link to the kit he used.

I repurposed my Nonfunctional (due to factory recall) windshield washer heated fluid button on the lower portion of the dash under the A/C controls for my 42" light bar behind my lower grille.

rps20200129_224220.jpg

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Austinite just installed a wireless remote harness on his and programmed the remote to his Homelink (garage door opener) buttons in the console above the rear view mirror.

I repurposed my Nonfunctional (due to factory recall) windshield washer heated fluid button on the lower portion of the dash under the A/C controls for my 42" light bar behind my lower grille.

View attachment 239654
I like that repurpose job! And I guess they aren't selling the one I bought anymore, but here's another one that might work: wireless remote harness
I actually had to buy a Homelink unit out of a 2013 Acadia to replace the Lear unit in my Escalade because the damn thing wouldn't let me program hardly anything to it. The Homelink works 100 times better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just don't turn on/off the light bar while in range of your garage door, or you'll inadvertently open/close it

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

OP
OP
2010gmcyukon

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 239654
Those are awesome ideas. Thanks! Too bad mine doesn't have that extra button. Although it has me thinking... maybe I could remove one of the 12v outlets right there and use that space.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Those are awesome ideas. Thanks! Too bad mine doesn't have that extra button. Although it has me thinking... maybe I could remove one of the 12v outlets right there and use that space.

I installed a switch in one of mine. It's a three way switch so I can turn on my front or rear camera while in motion...

rps20200131_083229_148.jpg

rps20200131_083254_926.jpg

rps20200131_082312_371.jpg

qcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that repurpose job! And I guess they aren't selling the one I bought anymore, but here's another one that might work: wireless remote harness
I actually had to buy a Homelink unit out of a 2013 Acadia to replace the Lear unit in my Escalade because the damn thing wouldn't let me program hardly anything to it. The Homelink works 100 times better.

How did you actually program it to the Homelink? I have a remote for my front light, but not sure how to get the Homelink to learn it. The remote has separate on/off buttons.

Austinite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you actually program it to the Homelink? I have a remote for my front light, but not sure how to get the Homelink to learn it. The remote has separate on/off buttons.
I programmed the "on" button to position 1 and "off" button to position 2. I just held the remote up to the Homelink button and held down the remote button and either the 1 or 2 Homelink button until they flashed rapidly. It took a few tries, but I finally got it to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues