where to get "Ford Keys"? (and a few more little questions)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to go up to 285/70-17's on my 2001 Hoe'

I know there are some aftermarket "leveling kits" out there,
but I've also seen people say to go with "Ford Keys"

is there a difference?

where would I get them?
are there different ones?

is there a write up on installing them?

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/70/17's will fit without rubbing on stock rims with no lift. I have it done to mine.

OP
OP
KrautBurner

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have stock 17's (I've got 16's)

and I know that 285/70-17's (on 17x9 wheels) rub on my dads GMC 2500

I'm leaning towards 17x8-9 wheels

Abstrastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have stock 17's (I've got 16's)ok.

and I know that 285/70-17's (on 17x9 wheels) rub on my dads GMC 2500thats odd because i am running stock backspacing on my 17x9 with 285/70's and they dont rub.

I'm leaning towards 17x8-9 wheels

DIY_DAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is the price, i got my 2" keys long time ago off Ebay for cheap with the included shock extenders, the Ford keys are sometimes cheaper, i think there just stock F-150 keys and they can be adjusted more than the Gm ones making them able to lift your front end higher, oh and they are very easy to install, stock wheels fit bigger and wider tires more easily than aftermarket wheels , you shold be able to fit a 285/70 no prob by just cranking the stock keys a little IMO, but its up to you

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
The difference is the price, i got my 2" keys long time ago off Ebay for cheap with the included shock extenders, the Ford keys are sometimes cheaper, i think there just stock F-150 keys and they can be adjusted more than the Gm ones making them able to lift your front end higher, oh and they are very easy to install, stock wheels fit bigger and wider tires more easily than aftermarket wheels , you shold be able to fit a 285/70 no prob by just cranking the stock keys a little IMO, but its up to you

haha ive taught you well.

OP
OP
KrautBurner

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is the price, i got my 2" keys long time ago off Ebay for cheap with the included shock extenders, the Ford keys are sometimes cheaper, i think there just stock F-150 keys and they can be adjusted more than the Gm ones making them able to lift your front end higher, oh and they are very easy to install,

stock wheels fit bigger and wider tires more easily than aftermarket wheels ,

you shold be able to fit a 285/70 no prob by just cranking the stock keys a little IMO, but its up to you

I don't have stock 17's (I have 16's)
i intend to go to 17's, the ones i'm looking at are 17x9 with -12mm backspacing

as far as cranking the stock Keys,
I was under the truck the other day, and they look (to me) like they are as tight as they will go. and the truck is nowhere near level.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

I found this writeup on the install http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=2

I guess the Ford P/N is XL3Z5B328CA
or the GM (Green) key is 155925173

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

I've read that people found ford dealers that sold them for $20 each

I called my local dealer, $79 each
and looked online and found $58 each

where are you guys getting them? XL3Z-5B328-CA

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
They have become a bit more expensive. Alot of people are switching to the rough country package. Come with key and a 4 shock for like 200 which is an awesome deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richie255