Wheel Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
I have a Hybrid and know that it has "special" wheels that are supposed to be lighter than others. I havent weighed mine yet but was curious if anybody has or is willing to take a OEM wheel + tire off for a minute and throw it on a scale in the name of science.

Curious to see how special these hybrid wheels really are.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Hmm? Thats like saying whats heavier, pound of bricks or pound of feathers. Way i see it, if your wheel needs 2 oz to balance it you still need 2oz worth of weights.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darn it Ghost I just sold my Hybrid wheels today ... I had them off where I could have weighed them. :(

I can tell you after lifting both recently that they weighed half as much as my old 24s.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
oh i read that wrong, my bad. yes Hybrid wheels are Lighter. They also use Low resistance tires that help improve gas. mileage

OP
OP
M

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
I think this weekend I'll toss one of my OEM hybrid wheels on a scale.

I think I have a formula bouncing around that was able to estimate HP loss due to wheel weight...

Probably not going to get close to stock weight with 24's..but I can try..unless I build a full carbon fiber rim!!!!!! mm...drool......

Trofeo16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Weight of hybrid wheels

Hey ghost, any chance u weighed the hybrid wheels. I just bought a hybrid and would love a new set of wheels. Wanted to know how much lighter the hybrid wheels are than a oem set of 20's.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome to TYF.

I can't give you an exact weight measurement but I can tell you that the difference between the Hybrid 18s and GM oem 20s isn't that much ... other manufacturers' vary a bit but the difference won't be felt.

I've had the HyHoe 18s, Enkei 24s, and now oem 22s ... the 24s were almost twice as heavy and you can really feel the difference on the steering and brakes. The 22s I have on now I can't tell any difference from the stock 18s, and you'll be able to not tell at all with 20s.

And if it's mpgs you're worried about it won't make much difference between 18s and 20s ... but you can always chuck out the 3rd row seat to compensate. :)

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome to TYF.

I can't give you an exact weight measurement but I can tell you that the difference between the Hybrid 18s and GM oem 20s isn't that much ... other manufacturers' vary a bit but the difference won't be felt.

I've had the HyHoe 18s, Enkei 24s, and now oem 22s ... the 24s were almost twice as heavy and you can really feel the difference on the steering and brakes. The 22s I have on now I can't tell any difference from the stock 18s, and you'll be able to not tell at all with 20s.

And if it's mpgs you're worried about it won't make much difference between 18s and 20s ... but you can always chuck out the 3rd row seat to compensate. :)

Those 18s are not less than 60 lbs with the tire. The Enkeis are about 90 lbs

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 18s are not less than 60 lbs with the tire. The Enkeis are about 90 lbs

Hi Neo ... like I said I'm not sure as to the exact weights.

The hybrid specific cast aluminum 18s are incredibly light, back when I had a chance to lift both sets with tires on they seemed to me about half the weight.

In fact I have a set of the esky delivery 18" spare wheels like these ...

3n63k43o35O25Z55W0b7i50f0e572975c1960.jpg

... and they are heavier than my Hybrid 18s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts