Wheel spacers ... what's the minimum number of turns on the lugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shorelocal

Reaction score
I have an 06 Escalade AWD and I'm running a set of 2018 Escalade OEM 22's (285/45R22) ... I've also upgraded the front brakes to the 2020 Silverado calipers. My challenge is that the front calipers rub the newer gen wheels, so I ordered some 12mm spacers to fix the rub. The fronts work great with the spacers ... full clearance now and I can get a full 6.5 turns/rotations of the lug nuts after torquing them to spec.

My problem is now in the rear where I'm still using the stock calipers. The newer gen wheels fit without any spacers and I get a full 12 turns on the lug nuts after torquing. But when I add the same 12mm spacers to match the front, I can only get 4 full turns on the lugs after torquing. I read on the Bora spacer website they recommend a full 7 turns ... I think I can chance it on the fronts, but the rears have me doubting the safety of running the spacers with only 4 turns.

I have test driven with just the spacers on the front and the truck seems to wander now. I drove the truck with the stock calipers F&R and the newer gen wheels and it drove straight and true. Planning to take it in for an alignment soon.

Anyone have any input/recommendations that they can share?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you grind down the "bump" on the new calipers?

Reaction score
I don't know how many "turns" is required or considered safe for the street, but I do know that NHRA and IHRA rules for track cars require at least the diameter size of the stud be engaged into the threads of the nut. So, if you have 1/2" diameter studs they should engage at least 1/2" into the lug nut.

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
Did you grind down the "bump" on the new calipers?

No, I didn't need to since it wasn't the bump that was rubbing on the wheel. It was the bottom of the caliper edge, not the raised bump, that was causing the interference.

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
I don't know how many "turns" is required or considered safe for the street, but I do know that NHRA and IHRA rules for track cars require at least the diameter size of the stud be engaged into the threads of the nut. So, if you have 1/2" diameter studs they should engage at least 1/2" into the lug nut.
Thanks @gooffeyguy ... this is definitely useful information. I'll slap the spacers on and measure them out with the wheel installed. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

shorelocal

Reaction score
After some additional research, the GM wheel studs have a M14 x 1.5 mm pitch to them, which means each "turn" would travel 1.5mm. The studs are 12mm in diameter (0.5"), so the minimum number of turns to be NHRA/IHRA legal would be 8 (8 * 1.5 = 12). As stated in my OP, with the spacers installed, my front nuts run 6.5 turns (9.75mm) but the rears only run 4 turns (6mm). Thinking I'm going to need to buy some longer studs if I want to ensure safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans