What's Wrong With Your Yukon/Tahoe Today? ...And How Long Has This Been Happening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Punteh

Reaction score
Tonight on my way home from work my CEL came on after some shuttering. When I got home I connected my code reader and I got the code P0300 Random Misfire. My Yukon Denali has 6400km on it. Great. Are you not able to clear codes on these vehicles? Everytime I tried with my code reader it would lose connection with the vehicle. So the code is still there. Obviously being Friday night I won't be able to get into the dealer until at least Monday morning to look into it.

Any recommendations with this code for the weekend? Is it ok to drive or would that possibly make things worse?

I’ve been driving my Yukon sparingly since the CEL came on and didn’t drive it at all yesterday. About an hour ago when I drove it I noticed that the light was gone. I have an appointment at the dealership on Friday but now there’s no light for them to check. Although I already told them what the code was. Is there anything in the computer that they can check or if I bring it in without the light on are they going to say there’s nothing they can do? It’s been running fine the last few times I’ve driven it so it really was a random misfire that caused the light to come on in the first place.

Another side note, after months of the speed limit sign on the HUD being blank when I drove it today the speed limit was displayed again. This vehicle does some random things

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been driving my Yukon sparingly since the CEL came on and didn’t drive it at all yesterday. About an hour ago when I drove it I noticed that the light was gone. I have an appointment at the dealership on Friday but now there’s no light for them to check. Although I already told them what the code was. Is there anything in the computer that they can check or if I bring it in without the light on are they going to say there’s nothing they can do? It’s been running fine the last few times I’ve driven it so it really was a random misfire that caused the light to come on in the first place.

Another side note, after months of the speed limit sign on the HUD being blank when I drove it today the speed limit was displayed again. This vehicle does some random things
Software glitches are part of the "experience" at this point. There is so much software/hardware on these vehicles that as they fix issues in one place, new issues come up in other places. Also, with the amount of modules/features all booting up and communicating, there's bound to be a time or two where things don't boot up correctly. After about 10 months into owning my Yukon I had a drive cycle where the backup camera didn't work. Next time I started it, no issues and hasn't happened since.

As far as the CEL - all codes are stored in the system with an ID of which drive cycle it occurred. After ~40 drive cycles, the system will erase the code. When the dealership hooks up to it, they can see it in the list of stored DTCs. Active DTCs are also shown and if you have a check engine light on at that moment, they will be in that list.

Every dealership is different. Some will say "Its not an active code, check engine light is gone - come back when it is an issue." Also, from what you said about it now running fine, they will likely say you got a "bad tank of gas" or something along those lines. You can still keep your appointment, but don't be surprised if it ends up being a waste of time.

SCiesie154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2022 yukon sle ....I just noticed my doors do not shut tightly. There is about an eigth of an inch of play when i push in on the doors after they are shut.No rattlles due to the amout of weatherstrip. Wind noise has increased a little since new in may of 2022

Last edited:

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the 2 months I've owned my Yukon AT4, I occasionally hear a "thud" behind the driver's seat, as if a bowling ball hit somewhere behind me when I'm driving alone. Nothing moves around back there, it only happens once a day, and I don't feel any vibration in the floor when it does happen. I thought it might be the sliding rear seat, but it takes some muscle to slide them back and forth because of how stiff they are on the sliding track. And my kids never adjust the seats either. Very strange.

Did you ever figure out what this clunk is/was? I felt what I think is the same thing making a tight-ish right turn through an intersection that had a slight drop-off to it. Felt just like you describe here, like a bowling ball rolled into something insulated (no harsh impact sound -- but a muffled "clunk" feel and maybe sound)...

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what this clunk is/was? I felt what I think is the same thing making a tight-ish right turn through an intersection that had a slight drop-off to it. Felt just like you describe here, like a bowling ball rolled into something insulated (no harsh impact sound -- but a muffled "clunk" feel and maybe sound)...
No issues with our Tahoe, but had an issue like this in my 21 Silverado. It turned out the spare tire wasn't tight against the frame and was moving around at times. Tahoe/Yukons have the same type of spare tire carrier that the pickups have. I haven't looked for the access to the winch to raise/lower the spare on the Tahoe yet but it has to be near the hitch area or visible when the hatch is open.

OP
OP
ProfeZZor X

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues with our Tahoe, but had an issue like this in my 21 Silverado. It turned out the spare tire wasn't tight against the frame and was moving around at times. Tahoe/Yukons have the same type of spare tire carrier that the pickups have. I haven't looked for the access to the winch to raise/lower the spare on the Tahoe yet but it has to be near the hitch area or visible when the hatch is open.
I'll have to check that out to see if my spare is loose. The only thing about that is that it doesn't repeatedly do it. It happens only once while driving, and the sound appears to be coming directly from the rear passenger seat behind the driver.

The other issue I've experienced is the "ghostly" mechanical automation behind the dashboard on the driver side, after I've shut the vehicle off. It usually takes a few minutes, but there's something mechanical going on behind the dash, as if a "transformer" is reforming into his robot form. That sound is more frequent than the one mentioned above, but I'm guessing that sound has to do with the power mechanisms equipped in the vehicle... Like power steering or power brakes readjusting into a neutral position until the vehicle is back in use.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check that out to see if my spare is loose. The only thing about that is that it doesn't repeatedly do it. It happens only once while driving, and the sound appears to be coming directly from the rear passenger seat behind the driver.

The other issue I've experienced is the "ghostly" mechanical automation behind the dashboard on the driver side, after I've shut the vehicle off. It usually takes a few minutes, but there's something mechanical going on behind the dash, as if a "transformer" is reforming into his robot form. That sound is more frequent than the one mentioned above, but I'm guessing that sound has to do with the power mechanisms equipped in the vehicle... Like power steering or power brakes readjusting into a neutral position until the vehicle is back in use.
I had a bad HVAC actuator that made a weird noise after turning off the key....

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Normal part of operation...
1709567746916.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660