What's this wire do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Grant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe LT. In the driver's side mirror I have a plug with two wires not connected to anything. I did not see one in the passenger side mirror. The wire are red and black w/a red stripe. I initially thought turn signal, but I'm not reading any power from it. Everything works on the mirror otherwise. Anyone know what this is for?

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I don’t see any with red with stripe. Maybe it’s an aftermarket mirror? Or one from a different vehicle?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe LT. In the driver's side mirror I have a plug with two wires not connected to anything. I did not see one in the passenger side mirror. The wire are red and black w/a red stripe. I initially thought turn signal, but I'm not reading any power from it. Everything works on the mirror otherwise. Anyone know what this is for?
Might help if you posted a picture or two of the harness you are referring to.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are only 2 options
1. heated mirror
2. auto dimming

I am guessing since it is a 2001 that it would be for heated mirror option unless you have a sensor in your rearview mirror for the autodim, it will be a small circle about the size of a hole that ringed paper would have like one of these
rearview.JPG rearview1.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If someone replaced the mirror glass and did not replace it with a heated glass that would explain the wires not being connected to anything

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are only 2 options
1. heated mirror
2. auto dimming

I am guessing since it is a 2001 that it would be for heated mirror option unless you have a sensor in your rearview mirror for the autodim, it will be a small circle about the size of a hole that ringed paper would have like one of these
View attachment 261898 View attachment 261899
These mirror you referenced weren’t an option til 2003. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SNDHOE