What oil for 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAYukoner

Reaction score
For those who do their own changes could you recommend the best synthetic and type for me? Thanks

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always liked Mobile One. Normally Wal-Mart will have the 5-qt jugs for $26 here in Iowa, course I haven't bought any yet for my '21. I'll probably just have the dealership take care of it.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost as many opinions exist as there are oil brand choices. :popcorn:

IMO, any quality oil will work, as long as you change it and the filter often - every 3k-5k miles.

70cutlass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 (truck and SUV) and Wix filter. Usually change it at 50% oil life or 5k miles, whichever comes first.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote for Mobil 1 [truck and SUV] and AC Delco Filter. The only place I find Truck and SUV oil in my neck of the woods is Napa. They have to get it from the warehouse but it comes in the next day. I also vote for 5K miles intervals.

For years I used Mobil 1 EP non Truck and SUV oil. No issues to report with it.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having any trouble finding specialty oil or filters, Rock Auto and Summit Racing are 2 good sources besides Amazon etc.
I found dexosD Mobil 1 (the green cap 0w-20) and got enough for 2 changes…..

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Amazon brand stuff. Watched a few comparison videos online and apparently the Amazon brand synthetic compares side to side with mobile 1 in a few different test.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who do their own changes could you recommend the best synthetic and type for me? Thanks
Your engine calls for 8.03 Quarts of 0W-20 under the Dexos1 Gen 2 standard. Whatever you decide on, make sure it conforms to this standard and is this weight.

10-9237/88865908 for 5 quart bottles, 3 to a box.

88865908_Primary.jpg

If interested, use both part numbers to locate, some use one, both or the other. My engine quieted down and picked up a quarter mile per gallon when I switched to it.

10-9236/88865907 for 1 Quart bottles by the case of 12.

10-9143 for 1 Quart bottles sold individually.

As good as synthetic oil is, with these tight tolerances it's plumb wore out by the time your engine's computer tells you to change it. Dirty, worn-out oil is DFMs worst enemy so get in the habit of changing the oil and rotating your tires every 5,000 miles or so.

Don't be that guy who comes on here a year from now telling us how bad GM engines are because yours blew up because you run Ford approved 5W30 in it at 10,000 mile intervals and fed it a steady diet of 87 octane gasoline. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Amazon brand stuff. Watched a few comparison videos online and apparently the Amazon brand synthetic compares side to side with mobile 1 in a few different test.
The #1 value in oil is Costco Kirkland brand if they have your weight available. I buy 2 one gallon jugs full synthetic for appx 24.00. Used it for as long as it’s been on the market in my kids cars etc. Can’t beat it….have tried Amazon too with good results….

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The #1 value in oil is Costco Kirkland brand if they have your weight available. I buy 2 one gallon jugs full synthetic for appx 24.00. Used it for as long as it’s been on the market in my kids cars etc. Can’t beat it….have tried Amazon too with good results….
Never shopped there but I hear about it often. I should see what the hype is about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan