What Motor Oil is everybody using?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told it was better to use a higher w in the winter, not less.

No!!!!!! It's the opposite. If you get the higher W it is a thicker viscosity and thus cannot flow through the engine as easily, especially during start up. It is recommended to use a lower W during the winter and higher W during the hotter days. I live in Texas and it gets pretty dang hot down here, and not that cold so I use 10W-30 on my hoe. If you live up north in the freakin cold then it is highly recommended to use 5W-30 or even 0W-30, especially during the winter.

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told it was better to use a higher w in the winter, not less.

Just the opposite. An oil that is thicker takes longer to flow throughout the engine when literally ice cold. As the engine oil heats up, it won't be any different than a 5w-30 or a 10w-30 at the same given temp.

ChrisInWI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Formula and a Fram TOUGHGARD or EXTENDED GARD, the regular Frams come apart inside and don't filter as well.

Thumper8302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im a valvoline fan myself.... used to be an assistant manager at a valvoline lube shop here in my neck of the woods... Im pushin around 230k so i got me some max life.... gonna thro some lucas in on next change.

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Mobil 1 Syn in all my vehicles now. When I was younger I used Penzoil. Mobil 1 filter too. I am going to run 10-30 this weekend.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chalk Up another one...

Mobil 1 5w-30 Fully Synthetic and Fram Tough Guard filter. I change every 5k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094