What kind of things should I be doing to my 06 Escalade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2006 Escalade 2WD, has the nav system and every option that I've ever seen on a base model. I'm looking around the truck and I've already got several ideas about things I want to do to it. But let's start simple:

1) Can I lower it? If so, how? i.e. are there any methods which are "off limits" because of the autoride system?

2) I'm looking at one of those multi-input boxes on ebay, with a USB input (memory sticks and iphone/ipod), Aux input and Bluetooth audio streaming/Bluetooth calling. They swear up and down it will work because I have the Nav system with XM inputs. Also the truck already (seems to) have an ipod/iphone hookup that I haven't traced down. Anything I should know about this?

3) Interior LED replacement, and LEDs on certain exterior lights, like the puddle lights on the bottoms of the mirrors

If there are a few good "build threads" for 02-06 Escalades, please point me to them. Thanks all.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Ok a couple more things, related to stereo stuff specifically:

1) If not the stock Nav unit, what do you guys like to run for a head-unit in these trucks, and why?

2) If I stick with the stock head unit, what is the recommended method to add a subwoofer only - isn't there a stock sub I can tap somewhere? And what if I wanted to add some full-range components, what's the recommended method?

3) I've seen mention of people replacing parts of the center console (i.e. the 6-CD changer) with a custom panel, are these panels still sold anywhere?

THX

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to completely disable the autoride system to lower the truck. This is somewhat of a personal decision, I was not willing to loose the factory auto leveling on the rear for towing and hauling. Some people think the autoride is what makes an Escalade drive a little better then your Tahoes & Yukons with similar non-autoride power trains. You certainly paid for it because it's not a cheap system. The auto-dampening feature, to my knowledge, cannot be duplicated with an aftermarket solution. Once you decided to loose autoride, with the appropriate bypass resistors in place most options would be open to you.

I don't have many answers for you w/r/t to your audio questions. I do know that you can buy an "add-an-amp" kit which lets you add a seperate subwoofer amp without splicing into any ins or outs. Since you have the slave CD changer, just about any GM Class II interface will work for you, but just don't expect to get alot of information from the player on the factory head unit. I am building my system around the factory nav headunit with a GMOS-04, a Micca speck media player and 3x VizualLogic 7" screens (two headrest and one console mounted).

OP
OP
T

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm still trying to gain consensus on what's possible, hence all of the questions. I have yet to encounter any Escalade build threads on this forum (except for one, dealing with addition of a turbocharger only). So it's hard to get an idea of what everyone else has done. A few build threads for Denali's seem pretty close though.

That's a shame autoride gets defeated with drop mods, I was hoping there was some way to "fool" the system, like with hangers and drop spindles. I wonder if any of the guys on this board who sell suspension components have any ideas.

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how low you want to go? The auto ride can be kept with shock extenders and 3 inch rear drop springs I believe. I have a nali and ditch the auto ride all together. I have helper bags in the rear for load/ride adjustments. Rides great with Tony's (NorCal SS) 6 inch springs. Tony has great knowledge prob want to talk to him he can help you figure out what's the best way for your intentions.
Billy

OP
OP
T

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.. I was able to dig up a thread (by searching for threads with "escalade" in the title - very useful) where Tony linked to a 3/6 kit that works with autoride:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52972&highlight=escalade

I'm all confused though... the thread title says autoride works perfect. But I'm having a hard time understanding how, if the shocks get replaced. Doesn't autoride use air shocks?

Last edited:

nickbaldwin86

Reaction score
Correct but you I am sure he is running shock extenders.

Something like this, I am not 100% but that is what I have seen done and that is what I would do, but really you don't need full travel, because you loose full travel by lowering anyways.

1109tr-14%2B2010-gmc-yukon-xl-project-murdered-out-mommy-mobile-part-1%2Brear-shock-extenders.jpg

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Welcome. I'm about three weeks ahead of you with a restomod project of an 06 Escalade. Sorry, I don't have any answers for the stereo system. With the chip shortage causing so many makers to stop or drastically reduce production, I've decided to wait on a head unit until there is more selection.

I purchased the Belltech 759SP lowering kit. I will lose autoride, which needed replacement anyway. There is a Vendor on this forum, Norcal I believe, who makes a kit many here have used. He might be a good source for lowering while keeping autoride. There are also a couple of videos on Utube which show how to lower your ride and keep autoride. The 759SP is a 2"/3"-4" drop. It uses 2" drop spindles in the front and shorter coils in the back for a 4" drop or with a rubber extender for a 3" drop. I'm told the 2"/4" drop should level the ride. The kit includes shock extenders for the rear to maintain original shock travel. It also keeps the original axel-to-body angle; which I'm told helps with overall ride stability and comfort. Also, I've read and heard the 2" drop spindles are modest enought to avoid front end alignment issues. The kit includes 4 Belltech street performance shocks.

Another idea I'm toying with is to replace the spare tire with a sealer/compressor kit. About 50% of new cars either dont' provide spares, or else offer them as an option. Losing the spare will drop some weight and give me more options for placing exhaust tips. I'm also removing the tow hitch receiver and removing third row seats, neither of which I plan to ever use, to cut a few more pounds.

I'm also planning to replace the seat covers with a contrasting color. Lexus, Porsche and Audi all offer models with trim in one color and seats in another. My trim is Pewter. The exterior is dark red, called Sport red Metallic. I'm waiting on leather swatch samples from leatherseats.com to make sure the color of red I pick compliments the exterior color.

I'm going to paint the grill to match the body color, but leave the chrome trim. I'm removing the rubber step pads from the rear bumper and covering that area with a metal plate that blends to the quarter round outer edge; then it to match the rest of the car.

Under the hood, I'm replacing the stock 6.0 with a 6.0L LS366/450hp GM performance engine and adding summit racing shorty headers and higher pressure fuel injection. I'm keeping the 4L65E tranny, but having it rebuilt and beefed up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thathighlife7