What keys are y’all using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My Esky fob with custom Masonic emblem on the back....
rps20201115_211514_121.jpg
rps20201115_211419_171.jpg

On my '08 Burb you can program the fobs without any outside help, like a Tech2... but the 2010 or 2011 and up requires a dealer or locksmith or a Tech2 to program.

I personally feel like the Esky fobs are more durable and have better range than the original fobs.

The Esky fobs can be had on Ebay for around $20-$25.

OP
OP
Nrphlly

Nrphlly

Reaction score
My Esky fob with custom Masonic emblem on the back....
View attachment 262533
View attachment 262532

On my '08 Burb you can program the fobs without any outside help, like a Tech2... but the 2010 or 2011 and up requires a dealer or locksmith or a Tech2 to program.

I personally feel like the Esky fobs are more durable and have better range than the original fobs.

The Esky fobs can be had on Ebay for around $20-$25.

yupper I know this is what I need!!!!! That’s it!!! I will get these!!! This fob is ridiculous!!! Buttons mashed in already on the new one!!!

JEndsley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You mentioned the tech 2 scanner to program fobs. I have an 11 Yukon XL bought used a few months ago. I bought some replacement fobs thinking I had heard I could program myself. Still haven't done due to being too cheap to pay dealer I guess. Is there a way with the tech 2, and is there a clone or software that can be used with a OBD 2 tool. I have seen and used similar for Ford and FCA, but apparently GM is more stingy with their code, or less demand. Any thoughts? I did search tech 2 on eBay and got quite the cornucopia of stuff. I wouldn't know what to look at, let alone buy.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You mentioned the tech 2 scanner to program fobs. I have an 11 Yukon XL bought used a few months ago. I bought some replacement fobs thinking I had heard I could program myself. Still haven't done due to being too cheap to pay dealer I guess. Is there a way with the tech 2, and is there a clone or software that can be used with a OBD 2 tool. I have seen and used similar for Ford and FCA, but apparently GM is more stingy with their code, or less demand. Any thoughts? I did search tech 2 on eBay and got quite the cornucopia of stuff. I wouldn't know what to look at, let alone buy.

Not exactly sure who this was directed at, but a Tech 2 clone can be had for around $300 and it will program the new keys/fobs.

It's not cheaper than having a dealer do it but it is a good long term investment if you plan on keeping the truck for a while. The Tech 2 is indispensable for diagnostics on these trucks.

There is also a cheaper alternative...

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-79124-99156.aspx

Hope this helps.

JEndsley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Kbuskill. Not directed any particular direction, just a general question I guess. Thanks for the reply though. I've seen the doorman kits, not sure how I feel about them, plus I've already bought replacement fobs. The $300 is definitely more than a trip to the dealer like you said, but something to put on my wish list I guess. I like to do stuff myself, and this would probably be worth the investment long term. Had a GMC conversion van a few years ago and needed fobs for it. Never did get them programmed. Would have been a better investment while I had it I guess. LOL

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure who this was directed at, but a Tech 2 clone can be had for around $300 and it will program the new keys/fobs.

It's not cheaper than having a dealer do it but it is a good long term investment if you plan on keeping the truck for a while. The Tech 2 is indispensable for diagnostics on these trucks.

There is also a cheaper alternative...

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-79124-99156.aspx

Hope this helps.

i think i actually have one of those. Gonna have to find it. But whatever one i have worked for my 10 tahoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman