What is this awful creaking sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it’s coming from the area of my front driver side wheel. Will upload another video as well.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a few different things, ball joint, tie rod ends, sway bar end links or bushings

i replaced the tie sway bar end links and sway bar bushings a few months back so maybe I messed that up somehow. Is there any way to diagnose it? Anything in particular I should look for?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get a mechanic's stethoscope and get two big friends. Lay down with that scope and under the front and have them jounce the front end as hard as they can while you listen for where the noise is coming from. You can also have one of them jounce it while another rocks the steering wheel, engine running, back and forth to see if could be from any steering component like a dry ball joint or anything....etc. That does sound like a dry socket. for lack of a better term.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a mechanic's stethoscope and get two big friends. Lay down with that scope and under the front and have them jounce the front end as hard as they can while you listen for where the noise is coming from. You can also have one of them jounce it while another rocks the steering wheel, engine running, back and forth to see if could be from any steering component like a dry ball joint or anything....etc. That does sound like a dry socket. for lack of a better term.

I’ve actually noticed it from just turning the wheel sometimes. Does that mean it’s the ball joint?

Here are some pics I took of the upper and lower driver side ball joints:

791D7CAE-D61D-4476-ADCF-A08F447D057F.jpeg 25CCBF7F-4AE3-4649-96CA-C8D3EF8BB825.jpeg

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It means it could be the ball joint. That is why I preach, others here also, get the mechanic's stethoscope and pin point the noise area. It is a very inexpensive tool but is a money saver for sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell from the video, but does it do it when sitting still and turning the wheels left and right? Does it creak the whole time or just at certain points in the turning? Is it much worse when rolling?

It sounds very much like when my bro's truck had a wheel bearing go bad. Sounded like the backing plate scraping the rotor- high pitched sheet metal screechy/creaky sound.

OP
OP
mattjones

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell from the video, but does it do it when sitting still and turning the wheels left and right? Does it creak the whole time or just at certain points in the turning? Is it much worse when rolling?

It sounds very much like when my bro's truck had a wheel bearing go bad. Sounded like the backing plate scraping the rotor- high pitched sheet metal screechy/creaky sound.

I’ll try to get another video today but it does it when I turn the wheel, though it’s more pronounced when I hit a bump while driving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157