What is the best time to purchase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PivotalRex

Reaction score
In the market for a 2017 Yukon Denali. In the "Prices Paid" post I noticed that people were stating they were getting 17.5% - 20% off MSRP in November last year. And other posts were showing 15k off from Laura GMC in August '16. Right now the best I see from Laura is around 11%. Are the steep discounts usually in November?

Also, I saw that 6/2 was when they were opening ordering for the '18's. Does anyone know when the '17's are scheduled to stop being produced?

thanks

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of trying to find out when they are cutting off orders for the 2017 models.

In my experience, I've always been able to get the new vehicle discounted the most when the next model year is starting to hit dealer lots, even more so when 2017's are harder to find and are outnumbered by 2018 models. If in fact it is true that GM will receive orders for 2018 suv's starting on 6/2, with build starting week one of August, I wouldn't expect to see a 2018 on the lot until sometime in October....just guessing

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that the best time to purchase is variable and will depend upon incentives and timing for end of month, end of quarter, end of calendar year and end of model year. With respect to holiday sales, you may or may not save more money than at other times. While the ads are designed to draw business, the real driver for incentives and discounts is the law of supply and demand.

Last edited:

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Laura adds discounts towards the end of the month. The $73K Denalis can be had for around $61K if you hit it right...which is around 16.5% off.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are a few drivers.

The new-year models hitting the lot, as someone said, means that the previous models are effectively NOS and the dealers know people will pay less for them. That's usually about August?

There are some inventory carrying costs at the end of the calendar year that can factor in to a better deal. There's no way to know what those are as a consumer, though.

The manufacturer can add incentives from time to time on top of what the dealer is otherwise willing to do. Edmunds usually lists the incentives currently in effect.

BUT -

It is a gamble; the longer you wait the less chance you'll find an in-stock model you like. Also, once a car is a model year old, some of the additional discount you get is offset by decreased value of your car which is a year old the day you buy it. This situation probably breaks even at about 5 years of ownership and doesn't apply at all if you happen to lease, but it's worth thinking about.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general, I'd say the best times of the year to buy are always going to be the last couple days of the month or quarter. If you can time that with any other GM incentives you'll be even better off. As others have said, if you are trying to get a deal on the outgoing model I'd still stick with the end of the month or quarter as the new MY is hitting the lots but you are going to have much less of a choice of models to choose from on the lot.

I'd also recommend going through either the online sales dept. or the fleet dept. to get the best deal as I've found you are always less likely to get the best deal when dealing with any old sales person just wandering around on the lot.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI-for what it's worth to anyone, order cutoff for 2017 Tahoe/suburban is 6/1/17. I do not know if this is nationwide or only for dealers in the southeast US. Confirmed by GM of local Chevy dealer.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the market for a 2017 Yukon Denali. In the "Prices Paid" post I noticed that people were stating they were getting 17.5% - 20% off MSRP in November last year. And other posts were showing 15k off from Laura GMC in August '16. Right now the best I see from Laura is around 11%. Are the steep discounts usually in November?

Also, I saw that 6/2 was when they were opening ordering for the '18's. Does anyone know when the '17's are scheduled to stop being produced?

thanks

Can I suggest at least looking at used examples that are 1 or 2 year old?
We paid 35 plus tax for our Suburban LT that was a 1.5 year old. Just my 2 cents, I realized you probably want brand new

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We paid 35 plus tax for our Suburban LT that was a 1.5 year old. Just my 2 cents, I realized you probably want brand new
How many miles? 4x4 or 4x2? Prior rental or Uber vehicle?

I know when I was looking at new vs. used, it made more sense for me to purchase a new LS rather than a used LT Suburban with 45,000 miles or so. The new LS was only a few thousand more and had no idle hours on the engine. If it was an Uber type vehicle, please keep in mind that it may have a lot of idle time if the driver sat and waited for his fare. We see this in downtown Washington DC where they sit outside the hotels waiting for their fares to return in order to complete the round trip.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Everywhere I looked wanted damn near new prices for 1 year old tahoes and only 10k off 2 year old tahoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC

Latest posts