What is different on the police motors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markfoster253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Last year I rolled my 99 Tahoe 3 weeks after rebuilding my engine. So I purchased a 99 Yukon with high mileage for super cheap, with the intention of a motor swap when necessary. Come to find out, the Yukon was a police model. Even with high mileage, it seemed faster than my rebuild. Now it's time to swap, and I wanna know what needs to come off the Yukon motor, and go onto the rebuild. Thanks Tahoe/Yukon family!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I rolled my 99 Tahoe 3 weeks after rebuilding my engine. So I purchased a 99 Yukon with high mileage for super cheap, with the intention of a motor swap when necessary. Come to find out, the Yukon was a police model. Even with high mileage, it seemed faster than my rebuild. Now it's time to swap, and I wanna know what needs to come off the Yukon motor, and go onto the rebuild. Thanks Tahoe/Yukon family!

Welcome to the forum Mark. I'm not aware of any differences but others will certainly stop by and say hello and someone might know. Was everyone ok after the rollover?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it wouldn't really be any faster it may have a different gear ratio in the diff maybe than your old one, generally the differences are a lower/firmer suspension, brakes that have seals for high temps, steel wheels, and it may have the speed limiter turned off, most of these trucks are factory set to shut off anywhere from 100-120, turning the limiter off lets them run out to around 134-137, engines are going to be the same, it's possible one may have a higher amperage alternator to help run the extra lights and sirens, could maybe even be a little lighter since the police units generally don't have the bells and whistles that a standard version would.

OP
OP
M

markfoster253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mark. I'm not aware of any differences but others will certainly stop by and say hello and someone might know. Was everyone ok after the rollover?
Thanks for reply. I've heard possibly injector difference? Possibly chipped, or computer changes? I walked away from the rollover. No passengers. Showing off to my buddy who was following me home after work. Came into a corner to fast on the freeway, rolled twice uphill through a median. Broke my ego is all. Lol

OP
OP
M

markfoster253

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it wouldn't really be any faster it may have a different gear ratio in the diff maybe than your old one, generally the differences are a lower/firmer suspension, brakes that have seals for high temps, steel wheels, and it may have the speed limiter turned off, most of these trucks are factory set to shut off anywhere from 100-120, turning the limiter off lets them run out to around 134-137, engines are going to be the same, it's possible one may have a higher amperage alternator to help run the extra lights and sirens, could maybe even be a little lighter since the police units generally don't have the bells and whistles that a standard version would.
Gear ratio would definitely make sense. I meant to say it's quicker, or more peppy. Thanks for the info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts