What goes here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like that the spare tire is mounted below the vehicle. I had an old Silverado and after several Michigan winters you couldn't lower down the spare tire because the hoist rusted up, got the tire down enough to cut the cable. (see diagram on previous post)

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack and spare tire just the like the 2015-2020 Tahoe, I had figure that on my wife’s 2018. She got a flat on way to work at hospital and I had go down after my work and fix in the parking garage. Was pain in ass trying figure out how to lower tire, luckily I watched videos earlier in day before I did it lol

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like that the spare tire is mounted below the vehicle. I had an old Silverado and after several Michigan winters you couldn't lower down the spare tire because the hoist rusted up, got the tire down enough to cut the cable. (see diagram on previous post)
I had this issue in my 2004 Suburban. When I acquired my 2013 Suburban, I made it a practice every spring to thoroughly wash the bottom of the vehicle. Then I would lower the spare, degrease and and lube up the hoist (white lithium grease in a spray bottle). Did this for the 8.75 years I owned it, spare tire hoist worked like butter every time. A little maintenance once a year goes a long way. I prefer it under the vehicle than taking up precious space inside.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bottle jack and assembly and spare tire location and lowering process and vehicle lifting process has been the same since they stopped putting the spare inside the back of the vehicle so for the 35 years or so, the silverado sierra are the same process except the jack is in the cab behind the passenger side rear seat versus it being in the rear drivers side panel on the suv's. you will want to note the 3pc rod (that you clip together) the tip that goes into the slot to lower the tire has to have the notched end go in first or it will not go into the receiver gear to lower the tire down. then the bottle jack goes in 1 of 4 specific spots (see your owners manual) I would recommend everyone at least try doing it once to familiarize yourself with the process, it is no fun of any kind to have to change the spare on the side of the road in the mud, raining, bitter cold, windy and DARK out it's just plain miserable. The only saving grace to the this is if you have at least practiced it once then you know how to do it.
oh and throw a poncho in the spot with the jack at least it will help keep your but crack dry

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to pull down an old spare from under the bed on an old Silverado, it was really old and all cracked up. I thought it would get me home, shortly after changing it I heard what sounded like a blow-out. Pulled over and checked the tire and the whole tread was gone but it wasn't flat, so I drove it slowly about a 1/4 mile and called for a ride home. It damaged the rear fender, bumper and bottom of the tail light.

OP
OP
C

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went out and checked my Yukon using the handsfree foot swing on the GMC logo and all LED interior lights came on when the liftgate opened including the ones overhead in the rear cargo area.
This is what i would expect... can someone confirm this works this way with the Tahoe before i go in to argue with the service guy?

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions:
1. What is supposed to go in the velcro straps behind the tire-iron in the rear cargo hidey-hole? (See picture)

2. The interior lights don't come on when I open the liftgate... they all come on normally when unlocking/opening the doors. Are they supposed to come on? If so where is the switch/setting? It's dark back there at night.

3. Where is the best place to buy the cargo/grocery net?

Well, I guess that was 3 questions. Thanks for the help!
1. My Escalade had nothing there either, I decided that it was a good place to keep an umbrella (maybe that was GM's intent?)
2. Only the rear interior light on my Escalade comes on with the tailgate, I have to open a door if I want all of the interior lights on. I've not seen a setting in the menu that changes that, so must be what was intended.
3. Didn't get one with the Escalade, in the 17 years I've had my Tahoe I've hardly used it.

As to the comment about the spare tire hoist, the spare on my Tahoe had never been down since I bought it new in '05. I knew people have had corrosion problems with it and had intended to lower it and check and grease it, but never got around to it until about two weeks ago. Worked perfectly, no problems at all. I guess the mag chloride they use here in Colorado really doesn't encourage rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19