What fog light to get to install at for rear when backing up to see better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need suggestion on rear fog light to get and install for rear to see better at night when backing up . Share you thoughts.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced my incandescent backup lights with good LED replacement backup lights, and while there was better visibility, I still could not adequately see behind me, while backing up. Since my driveway has stone walls on both sides, good visibility is essential.

At the recommendation of one of my vendors, I had two 8-inch Rough Country LED bars installed on the underside of my rear bumper, and amount of light generated by them is absolutely phenomenal. The LED bars are in a single row of LEDs, so the bars do not take up much vertical space, and they snugly fit under the bumper, and do not hang down significantly under the bumper, and do not cause a potential danger of hitting anything. IMO, this is a better configuration than some of the multi-row LED bars, which do hang down significantly below the bumper. In fact, you do not even see the LED bars, unless you are specifically looking for them, and bend down a bit to see them.

A direct power wire to the battery was installed, as well as a relay that connects into the truck's stock backup light circuit to activate the LED bars, when I put the truck in reverse. I also had a micro-switch installed under the dashboard near the OBD2 connector, so that I can separately turn on the LED strips, even when the truck is off, so that I can use them as exterior work lights, when needed.

I trust that this is helpful to you.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear fog lamps are bright red and are designed to make YOU seen by others in foggy conditions. You will generally find these on European cars that are sold in North America.

OP
OP
Jorge1313

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my incandescent backup lights with good LED replacement backup lights, and while there was better visibility, I still could not adequately see behind me, while backing up. Since my driveway has stone walls on both sides, good visibility is essential.

At the recommendation of one of my vendors, I had two 8-inch Rough Country LED bars installed on the underside of my rear bumper, and amount of light generated by them is absolutely phenomenal. The LED bars are in a single row of LEDs, so the bars do not take up much vertical space, and they snugly fit under the bumper, and do not hang down significantly under the bumper, and do not cause a potential danger of hitting anything. IMO, this is a better configuration than some of the multi-row LED bars, which do hang down significantly below the bumper. In fact, you do not even see the LED bars, unless you are specifically looking for them, and bend down a bit to see them.

A direct power wire to the battery was installed, as well as a relay that connects into the truck's stock backup light circuit to activate the LED bars, when I put the truck in reverse. I also had a micro-switch installed under the dashboard near the OBD2 connector, so that I can separately turn on the LED strips, even when the truck is off, so that I can use them as exterior work lights, when needed.

I trust that this is helpful to you.
Can’t you show or take picture of where you installed them how to screw them on to what

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t you show or take picture of where you installed them how to screw them on to what

Sure.

First, a 1" right angle bar stock is attached to the existing lower rear bumper support brackets, thus creating a stable platform, upon which to attach the LED light bars. Spacer washers are used to properly position the right angle bar stock in relation to the bumper.

Then, the LED light bars are attached to the right angle bar stock, using spacer washers to achieve the proper height position of the LED light bars in relation to the bottom of the bumper, for the desired light dispersion behind the truck.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Rear view installed:
Rear-View.jpg

Angle bar stock to lower bumper support bracket connection view:
ar-Stock-to-Bumper-Support-Bracket-Connection-View.jpg

LED light bar to angle bar stock connection view:
LED-Bar-to-Angle-Bar-Stock-Connection-View.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan