What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen that.

I'm not too concerned about off the shelf performance parts. More about towing power. 300 lb/ft at 800rpm and 500 lb/ft around 3000, the 8.1 in stock form will be miles ahead. If I ever want more performance I'll have Oregon cam do a custom grind and I'll port the heads myself, but I don't see it any time soon.

Also, I'm rocking an NV4500 as of about 4k miles ago, which has been killer.
You might get some good information from this video series, especially episode 17 (IIRC): The Ugly Truck Complete Build Series

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate showing my ignorance here but... How often SHOULD tires be rotated?
Depends on a few factors. Tire size, aggressiveness, driving conditions, opinion.

I generally do at every oil change. I change my oil every 5k miles whether synthetic or dinosaur. I have had big aggressive mud tires that wanted more frequent than that, but generally 5k is a pretty good spot. Plain treads and factory sizes can sometimes go even longer.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m depending too much on this old G80.. I think she should be locking up, but isn’t.. some maniac burned a one wheel peel off this corner yesterday for 2-300 feet.. shouldn’t it have locked..? Last time I changed my rear fluid, I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75 - 90, and had the understanding there is no friction modifier needed, as these are all mechanical, with no clutches. Am I mistaken?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I’m depending too much on this old G80.. I think she should be locking up, but isn’t.. some maniac burned a one wheel peel off this corner yesterday for 2-300 feet.. shouldn’t it have locked..? Last time I changed my rear fluid, I used Amsoil Severe Gear 75 - 90, and had the understanding there is no friction modifier needed, as these are all mechanical, with no clutches. Am I mistaken?
lockers wear out. i killed the one in my 03 gmc 2500 pick up. lots of snow plowing work during its life. they also can unlock over 25 mph.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
Forgot to update last week. New motor is in, just needs to be hooked up. Glad I went through all the hassle of painting the block, it really shows (see image three) gotta wait for my buddy’s schedule to line up with mine to get it closer to done. But it’s in!
IMG_0589.jpegIMG_0590.jpegIMG_0591.jpeg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lockers wear out. i killed the one in my 03 gmc 2500 pick up. lots of snow plowing work during its life. they also can unlock over 25 mph.
It’s hasn’t been used much. I thought all the G80 were mechanical, rather than using any clutches.

ETA: reading up and watching some videos of the function of it makes a lot more sense. Looks like it auto-disables at “highway speeds”, so I think either the centrifugal piece isn’t activating, or perhaps the locking arm has broken. If so though, I’d expect there to be some significant signs of that, like noise, etc.. perhaps it wouldn’t lock because the other wheel is already spinning too fast to activate?

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hasn’t been used much. I thought all the G80 were mechanical, rather than using any clutches.

ETA: reading up and watching some videos of the function of it makes a lot more sense. Looks like it auto-disables at “highway speeds”, so I think either the centrifugal piece isn’t activating, or perhaps the locking arm has broken. If so though, I’d expect there to be some significant signs of that, like noise, etc.. perhaps it wouldn’t lock because the other wheel is already spinning too fast to activate?
pretty much when it stops working under 25 mph its broken or springs wore out. there was no noise, just stopped working. i was peg legging from a dead stop. when working you would feel right rear spin like 1/2 a turn then the left side lock in. or a sharp turn on wet ground they lock up and start clunking like a spool rear chirping the inside tire and plowing the front wheels. used to do this all the time turning into my drive way, more then once it caused me to over shoot the drive way and id have to stop and back up.

on a side note my camaros got a g80 locker, and it spins both wheels past 90 mph most of the time in the burn out box at the track, i think two times it unlocked and only spun one tire. but those two times i was on st tires. the rest of the time i had drag radials on. no idea if that would make the difference or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog