What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a steering box with a better feel. I've gone through my entire front end and I would like a more direct feel in the steering like a new car. I guess i should have gone with a new box instead of a reman unit. My HD heim links seem to help with bigger wheels..I just want a firmer feel with no play..

I put in poly sway bar mounts but they don't seem to fit as tight as factory so that may be an issue also. The poly end links are a must if the originals habe failed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went looking for a vacuum gauge at Northern Tools and ended up putting some quick release couplers on my Motive brake bleeder. I prefer not to put fluid in the bleeder when bleeding brakes and now I can disconnect the bleeder from the master cylinder and add fluid without losing pressure in the tank and having to pump it up again. I can also quickly switch connectors between different cars without having to thread on a different adapter since I also have a Nissan, Honda And Mitsubishi lol.. .
2c747bf8e8494168ce9ef4175c417c31.jpg

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all related but other than an idler and pitman arm, all the front end pets are original and it’s got decent steering feel and is still tight and direct even with 263k miles

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven a 2005 suburban that had a much firmer steering feel to it. Not sure why.

Does anyone know about the steering wheel position sensor and it's affect on wheel firmness?

I just tightened the two torx screws under the steering column cover as indicated in a old post that may improve firmness but haven't taken it out on the road yet. I couldn't feel any different turning it in park though.

I replaced my steering gear with a reman Ac Delco. I'm not sure a new one would be that vast of a difference.

Over the course a year I have changed every suspension component with exception of one cv joint and nothing has improved the feel of the steering wheel. Finally after changing the steering gear my wheel is straight going down the road but has the tiniest bit of vagueness in the middle with some correction over nyc road imperfections.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as firmness don't count on any change. I have recently changed the upper/lower intermediate shafts and the steering box with little change.

You're right. clunking completely gone. No appreciable change in the firmness of the wheel when turning.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven a 2005 suburban that had a much firmer steering feel to it. Not sure why.

Does anyone know about the steering wheel position sensor and it's affect on wheel firmness?

I just tightened the two torx screws under the steering column cover as indicated in a old post that may improve firmness but haven't taken it out on the road yet. I couldn't feel any different turning it in park though.

I replaced my steering gear with a reman Ac Delco. I'm not sure a new one would be that vast of a difference.

Over the course a year I have changed every suspension component with exception of one cv joint and nothing has improved the feel of the steering wheel. Finally after changing the steering gear my wheel is straight going down the road but has the tiniest bit of vagueness in the middle with some correction over nyc road imperfections.
I'm willing to bet the 2005 has a rack and pinion instead of the pitman/idler arm setup..

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went looking for a vacuum gauge at Northern Tools and ended up putting some quick release couplers on my Motive brake bleeder. I prefer not to put fluid in the bleeder when bleeding brakes and now I can disconnect the bleeder from the master cylinder and add fluid without losing pressure in the tank and having to pump it up again. I can also quickly switch connectors between different cars without having to thread on a different adapter since I also have a Nissan, Honda And Mitsubishi lol.. .
2c747bf8e8494168ce9ef4175c417c31.jpg

Why don’t you like putting fluid in the bleeder when bleeding brakes? It’s designed like that to make it super easy. You just made it harder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n