Weird noise inside vehicle, passanger front, Any Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plsmith86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Yall,

I have this problem with my truck that started about 5 months ago. I cannot figure out what it is, but can tell you what it is not!!

Here is what is going on with the truck... When you are driving, there is a noise, I don't really know how to describe it so bear with me... but it sounds like a scraping rumble when you are accelerating, and can be very loud or soft at times, but is usually always there. My truck has high miles, and usually, I would tell someone to turn the radio up, that’s what it's for, but sometimes this noise can be heard over the radio.

I have taken my Chrysler techs for rides, and we have done many things to figure this one out, but have not. I have had it to two Chevy dealers, one of which is a sister store to my Chrysler store... nothing.

I will try and record the noise and see if perhaps this will help, but I don’t know how good it will come out.

It happens when you are driving, weather there are bumps, holes or turns in the road, it don’t matter. It only does it when you are under acceleration. When you are coasting, there are no noises what so ever. It gets worse when you are bouncing around on a rough road, but as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator no matter how many bumps in the road it stops!

For the sake of argument, I replaced the sway bar links and bushings front and rear. Rear just to eliminate the possibility of a noise traveling from the back to the front.

I know about the TSB for the AC compressor and the tensioner. Both have been replaced (because the compressor locked up and took out the tensioner) this did not fix the problem, In fact I drove around for 3 weeks with the tensioner snapped off and AC not working - the noise was still there.

One of my tech suggested that it was a noise in the front grill. I used painters tape and taped the ENTIRE front of my vehicle, every plastic peace that could move, was taped. Still there. (This sounds stupid, but I had to try it) We then removed all the plastic from the front end. Wheel wells, skid plates, splash guards... noise was still there.

Another tech of mine adjusted the AC lines and the Trans dip stick tube, thinking it could possibly be rubbing on the fire wall. This did not solve the problem either.

I don’t know where to go with this problem but it is way out in left field for me. I have listened and the noise is coming from the passenger side, somewhere... I emptied the glove box. Even removed the box door. Felt all inside, and jiggled everything with the HVAC... nothing. After all this time, all I was able to conclude was that it is only present when the vehicle is under acceleration (even with cruise control)

Any ideas? I am stumped!! :emotions122:

Truck:
2001 Tahoe LT. 5.3 Auto, 4WD 170k miles.

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the inner side of your tire for wear...I bet it has more wear than the outer side.

Probably bad camber angle.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just throwing out ideas. How about the front wheel bearing? I had an 02 Burb the other day that had no play in the bearing but it was loud when the wheel was spun when it was jacked up.

OP
OP
P

plsmith86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The tires are perfect, no ware, and the wheel bearings re new, both sides. The noise is only while under acceleration (load?) It does not do it when parked, and it will stop as soon as you take your foot off the peddal, at any speed.. smooth road, rough road, when turning or going strait. Its a weird one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123