Weird Grinding noise when hitting the brakes hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublime69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whenever I hit the brakes REALLY hard in my 08 LTZ I get a very loud grinding noise. Its hard to tell where its coming from I if I had to guess I would say its the rear. The pads are almost new and everything looks great when I took it apart. Any ideas???

Thanks

eohat12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whenever I hit the brakes REALLY hard in my 08 LTZ I get a very loud grinding noise. Its hard to tell where its coming from I if I had to guess I would say its the rear. The pads are almost new and everything looks great when I took it apart. Any ideas???

Thanks

There is a possibility you have a rock that has got wedged around the caliper , I'd pull it apart and see whats what before a rotor gets toasted

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
What area do you live in? In My area New England, rust builds up on caliper brackets, edges or rotors, inside the hats for the ebrakes. Also I’ve seen when calipers wernt tightened down and caliper bolts fell out. When applying the brakes, the caliper would move from the bracket and contact the inside of the rim.

OP
OP
S

Sublime69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in Chicago, I will inspect everything and see what I find.

XEALOT

Reaction score
I would also look at the parking break shoes. NNBS parking brakes are notorious for coming loose and making noises in the rear. I just had my passenger parking brake shoe adjusted. At 45MPH+ it made the same sound as a bad U Joint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts