Weird electrical issues. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRed300r

Reaction score
Some of the symptoms I am having on my wife's 04 tahoe are draw on battery, weird symbols on DID, driver door window and lock switches inoperable, radio won't turn off when driver door is open, speedometer and tach work but oil pressure, temp, battery, fuel not working at times. Interior lights sometimes won't work. I suspected it to be a bad BCM. Went to the pick your part and found a used one with somewhat the same options and same year. I was able to find 2 of them. But mine has a pink square on it and the two I got have a green square. SO I put one of them in and went through the 30 min learn process. First one would not work in my tahoe at all. The second one worked. Drivers door switches worked. No weird symbols displayed on DID. Everything ok. Well so I thought. Now battery drain is worse and mirrors tilt down at the rear tires when put in reverse. Lol. My question is what are some diagnostic processes I can check. I've pulled the BCM and looked under magnifying light to ensure no broke solder. Other than that I'm lost as last years Easter eggs. Please help.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mirror tilt-down action, when put into reverse, is a user-programmed function. Must have been programmed "On" by previous owner. You can turn it off or on through the driver settings menu button on the steering wheel.

One thing to put in the back of your mind while diagnosing... Maybe a sticky or bad switch on the door lock mechanism. Interior lights time out on their own after a few minutes. But maybe the door is keeping the radio or something else in the on state.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRed300r

BigRed300r

Reaction score
The mirror tilt-down action, when put into reverse, is a user-programmed function. Must have been programmed "On" by previous owner. You can turn it off or on through the driver settings menu button on the steering wheel.

One thing to put in the back of your mind while diagnosing... Maybe a sticky or bad switch on the door lock mechanism. Interior lights time out on their own after a few minutes. But maybe the door is keeping the radio or something else in the on state.
Will try cleaning the door switch. Is it located in the latch assembly?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ditto on the mirrors in reverse. Also, a replacement BCM needs to be programmed to the options that you have on your VIN for everything to work properly.

Some of the more common parasitic draw issues in these are caused by a faulty driver's door latch (RAP issue) and water migration in the PCM connectors. There are plenty of others, so it will take some testing to find the cause. Be careful to let everything go to sleep before you do much testing, and note that if you have the AUTO HVAC head it can take several hours to go to sleep.

There are many good YouTubes for parasitic draw; here's one from Eric at South Main Auto (he has more and so do others):

OP
OP
BigRed300r

BigRed300r

Reaction score

Also the wife's tahoe doesn't have steering wheel controls. But that being said swapping b the BCM didn't fix my issue. So I'm putting the original back in.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Door latch disassembly and cleaning:

OP
OP
BigRed300r

BigRed300r

Reaction score
Not sure what I did to fix my issue. But I cleaned all plugs on PCM and under hood fuse box. Found rebuilt cluster had a very thin piece of wire laying across the DID, Found bad solder blobs on several spots. Removed solder blobs and resoldered all bad spots. Inspected all wiring harnesses under hood and dash for chaffing. Found ok. That was Saturday. As of tonight it is still all good. Thanks for all yalls help.