Warranty voided?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspilios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently had a CEL for faulty MAP sensor or circuit on 2021 gmc Yukon Denali.
I replaced a sensor myself, it seemed to solve the problem for a bit but then came right back and now won’t clear the code at all.
I took it to my local dealer, just received a call from them saying I will have to cover the diagnostic and shop fees because the warranty may be voided because of an aftermarket intake and fatback exhaust system. Anyone else run into this issue?
I figure if anything they would have an issue with the catch can system but I have tried it with it on and off the vehicle.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced a sensor myself, it seemed to solve the problem for a bit but then came right back and now won’t clear the code at all.
I took it to my local dealer, just received a call from them saying I will have to cover the diagnostic and shop fees because the warranty may be voided because of an aftermarket intake and fatback exhaust system. Anyone else run into this issue?
I figure if anything they would have an issue with the catch can system but I have tried it with it on and off the vehicle.
According to the Moss-Magnuson Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it, for which the burden of proof is on them, not you.

OP
OP
A

Aspilios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to the Moss-Magnuson Act, an automobile manufacturer cannot void your vehicle warranty due to the installation of aftermarket parts. Unless the aftermarket part that caused the vehicle failure or contributed to it, for which the burden of proof is on them, not you.

Awesome I appreciate that!
I will see what they come back with this afternoon and see what I can do.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya if you do not want to put the oem intake back on then yes you may be stuck paying the diagnostic time, the dealer has to abide by gm's rules and procedures and if you have aftermarket parts on there then they can't and gm wont pay them. they have to follow specific diagnostic procedures and rule certain things in or out for troubleshooting and because it is intake related having your parts on there is the issue. That could even stretch to the exhaust as well so you might have to bite the bullet on this one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

for troubleshooting warranty issue's they need the oem parts in place if he wants gm to pay for the diagnostic time, because it is intake related, if it were a brake problem then the intake having 3rd party parts likely wouldn't even matter because the problem would most likely not be related to the intake.

OP
OP
A

Aspilios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
for troubleshooting warranty issue's they need the oem parts in place if he wants gm to pay for the diagnostic time, because it is intake related, if it were a brake problem then the intake having 3rd party parts likely wouldn't even matter because the problem would most likely not be related to the intake.
I understand what you are saying about the diagnostic fee, and I get that the intake may cause issues with the map sensor, but when a sensor has been replaced and it still causes issues it is most likely with the circuit not the intake. And the exhaust would have nothing to do with it as it’s just a cat back system, it isn’t long tubes with no cats…haha

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to clarify the issue is not your 3rd party parts maybe causing a problem, the problem is because the oem parts are not on there they can't follow specific procedure for troubleshooting, they may have to connect a tool to the oem intake or monitor known set parameters read with the oem parts in place and again if the oem intake is not on there then they can't do that. also gm will ask is if the oem parts are present, they have to be able to check off the box on procedures as they go along.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about the diagnostic fee, and I get that the intake may cause issues with the map sensor, but when a sensor has been replaced and it still causes issues it is most likely with the circuit not the intake. And the exhaust would have nothing to do with it as it’s just a cat back system, it isn’t long tubes with no cats…haha
it does in gm's eye because of the diagnostic procedure they use, the dealer can still check it but gm won't pay them so you have to agree to pay the bill or put the oem parts back on.

OP
OP
A

Aspilios

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
to clarify the issue is not your 3rd party parts maybe causing a problem, the problem is because the oem parts are not on there they can't follow specific procedure for troubleshooting, they may have to connect a tool to the oem intake or monitor known set parameters read with the oem parts in place and again if the oem intake is not on there then they can't do that. also gm will ask is if the ome parts are present, they have to be able to check off the box on procedures as they go along.
Do they run through the same procedures if they are the ones that installed them? I.e. gm performance exhaust?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they run through the same procedures if they are the ones that installed them? I.e. gm performance exhaust?
the exhaust may not matter you will have to ask the service advisor to clarify, being that it is a gm part it shouldn't. be sure to ask the supervisor not the other clowns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick