Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive
Do you have the 10 speaker system with the center channel? What speaker did you use there and in the d-pillar?
my silverado has 6 speaker bose, no center console so they do a really screwy setup with 6X9's in the front doors as subwoofers, rattled and sounded like hell. so I put basically the same sound deadener in the doors and rear of the cab, put kappa components in the front doors, sundown speakers in the front upper dash, kappa's in the rear doors, 2 jl sub's under the rear seat, 2 jl audio amps and a adapter module for the stock headunit otherwise it sends a heavily filtered sub signal to the front doors, bt audio to one speaker, backup sensor sound to another speaker, onstar to another speaker. just a screwy factory setup.
all that said I think the yukon center dash speaker is a full range not sure of size I think it is bigger than 2.75" might be 3" if you pop the grill off you can measure it to be sure, just use a pry tool it comes off rather easily.
the problem with the center speaker is it has no support under it so it tends to make the dash crack from bouncing up and down while driving, some of us have put some foam support under it to help prevent it from moving.
plenty of options out there for speakers, the sundowns I used will not fit because they are not square they only have 2 ears

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if your android is really disabling it or not, the bose system is digital. even with the maestro rr messing with it is tricky.
does your android head unit have dsp settings? does it support bose fade?
The head unit uses the canbus network. The pictures the main audio settings tab on the head unit. That last option doesn’t seem to do anything nor does the speed adjust.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpeg
    IMG_0152.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 4

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that’s what the speed adjust volume was. I don’t remember seeing anything about it on the OEM unit?
that is automatic volume with speed, so as you are driving it automatically adjusts the volume up/down to compensate for outside noise, that's not anc
anc listens to the sound waves and generates a negative sound to reduce it

automatic volume has been around for a long time, it's in the manual for obs, nbs, nnbs
2007.jpg2007A.jpg2007b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the passenger door sound deadening and the dB measurement went from 77-78 dB to 74-75 dB. Not quite as quiet as the driver side door (72-73 dB), but definitely shows improvement!

Dropped in the Infinity Kappa speakers in the a-pillar tweeter locations and the front doors and it is incredible how much improvement there is. I don't know how much is the new speakers vs including the sound deadening, but it is a huge difference.

@iamdub - see pic here of the difference between decibelX phone app vs the decibel meter - pretty big difference. The phone is my wife's galaxy S24 ultra, so it's pretty new sound hardware (I know you apple guys will be slamming that)!

20231222_144949.jpg

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Later tonight we leave on our trip! We'll be battling the storm that runs all the way down from Michigan to Florida, but I feel everything that you all have helped me get done on the truck will get us there safely!

I cannot put into words how grateful we are for the advice and counsel you have provided. We listened to every word, made every repair or PM, and feel that we could not be in a better position right now with the truck!

I've packed a tool box and various other things including a little bit of oil, my tech 2 clone that I haven't been able to open yet, and reinstalled the new spare tire.

Like @JPS0284 said earlier, we've crammed into this single thread a decade worth of things you all have been discussing here. Thanks again for helping me every step of the way and I hope you all know how much we appreciate you all.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And yes, I'll be back with a few more things that need to be done next year...and maybe a few pics of the truck while we're on the trip!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the passenger door sound deadening and the dB measurement went from 77-78 dB to 74-75 dB. Not quite as quiet as the driver side door (72-73 dB), but definitely shows improvement!

Dropped in the Infinity Kappa speakers in the a-pillar tweeter locations and the front doors and it is incredible how much improvement there is. I don't know how much is the new speakers vs including the sound deadening, but it is a huge difference.

@iamdub - see pic here of the difference between decibelX phone app vs the decibel meter - pretty big difference. The phone is my wife's galaxy S24 ultra, so it's pretty new sound hardware (I know you apple guys will be slamming that)!

View attachment 417128

Much bigger difference than I was hoping for. But, it still might not be irrelevant info. Like, if you had tested it before with the phone and it still showed the same 3-4 dB change. Thanks for the comparison! I'll be sure to do a before and after when I do mine. I'm just gonna use the phone app and have as few of variables as possible. I'll pick the same testing locations (parked and driving), phone locations and angles, weather conditions, etc.

Oh, and I'll be using an iPhone so the data will likely be more factual! :p

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, everyone!

Later tonight we leave on our trip! We'll be battling the storm that runs all the way down from Michigan to Florida, but I feel everything that you all have helped me get done on the truck will get us there safely!

I cannot put into words how grateful we are for the advice and counsel you have provided. We listened to every word, made every repair or PM, and feel that we could not be in a better position right now with the truck!

I've packed a tool box and various other things including a little bit of oil, my tech 2 clone that I haven't been able to open yet, and reinstalled the new spare tire.

Like @JPS0284 said earlier, we've crammed into this single thread a decade worth of things you all have been discussing here. Thanks again for helping me every step of the way and I hope you all know how much we appreciate you all.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

And yes, I'll be back with a few more things that need to be done next year...and maybe a few pics of the truck while we're on the trip!

Where in FL are y'all going? I drove from Baton Rouge, Louisiana to Wimauma, FL (about 30 mins south of Tampa) last Friday. Did this in my old 2008 with 227K miles. The same one I often post here of the beatings and abuse I deal it. What I did to get her ready for the 800-mile journey was check the tire pressures and look at the oil, trans fluid, and coolant levels. Oh, real important- I also saved a bunch of Marketplace listings for subwoofer amps between Pensacola and Wimauma. Mine is still in the shop so I wanted to get one along the way or while I was here. Gotta take advantage of the 4-state market.

I plan to meet up with another forum member from south FL that will be up this way for a few days. If you happen to be near and available, maybe you could join?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghostknight