Very pleased w/Amsoil rear diff fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill

Reaction score
Just passing along my experience & results. I just serviced the rear diff on my new-to-me 2000 'Hoe. I don't believe the fluid had ever been changed in the 158K miles on the odometer. The rear end was clunky stopping & launching.

Change the cover, gasket, and filled with Amsoil synthetic 75W-90. Smooth as silk now. Very pleased so far!

Last edited:

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice... how much did u use, what was the cost and where did u get it? I probably need to do both front and back as well as the tranny...

OP
OP
H

HankHill

Reaction score
The rear diff was about 2.5 quarts, so I bought 3 at around $12/quart. A few mom$pop shops around me deal the stuff. And the gasket & cover kit was around $50 at the dealer...

msark

Reaction score
Why doesn't in need the ltd slip additive? 3 days ago I changed mine and went with the additive and Lucas gear oil... Wish I had seen this first!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Possibly because it does not use the mechanism type that require it.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

What told you to use the modifier to began with?

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run Amsoil in everything I own for years. They don't recommend adding other slip lock additives with their lube unless it is their slip lock additive because it is formulated to compliment the additive package already in the gear lube. I personally have never run the slip lock additive in mine but have used the 75w-90 in many 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks and never had issues. When changed it has always "looked" as good when it came out as when it went in. I haven't changed it in the Yukon yet but I am in the process of converting everything over now.

Hotrdd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same fluid in the front diff. Or is it something different?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019