Recommended Fluids - Transfer Case, Front Diff, Rear Diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I just found out. The service manual actually calls for using new bolts when installing cover. Hmmm. I reused my old ones. Oh well. Torque is 30 lb ft.

Attachments

• E251C1F3-831A-420C-B8F5-9AAD030646A4.jpeg
    E251C1F3-831A-420C-B8F5-9AAD030646A4.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 14

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something I just found out. The service manual actually calls for using new bolts when installing cover. Hmmm. I reused my old ones. Oh well. Torque is 30 lb ft.
Yep, you won't have any problems. They probably do it to ensure the bolts can be torqued as close to the spec as possible. Old bolts with rust and crud on the threads will have a wide variance in clamping force for a given torque.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why oh why isnt there a drain plug on these diffs?! Coming from IRS rears, I have never seen one without a drain plug.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LAND ROVER there's the problem. :) JK. Had a 98 Disco, nearly indestructible as long as the head gaskets didnt fail.
Ah, a fellow connoisseur. I had an '04 Disco II and a '07 LR3 as well. Of those two, the Disco II was the better truck in terms of reliability. Same Buick-derived V8 as yours, but in 4.6L form. Lots of folks had head gasket and oil pump problems with their 4.6's but I got lucky and never had a lick of trouble with the truck.

The LR3 needed both engine and transmission work in the first 50K (serious oil and fluid leaks) - all out of warranty by a few months, of course. The engine was leaking at the bed pan gasket, which was the result of a factory defect, according to the dealer. But the engine had to come out to repair it. $7K later and I traded it in on a new BMW, which was flawless thankfully.

The LR2 has been great, with 230K on it now. Well, apart from needing a new rear differential pinion bearing every 100K anyway :-D

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny to me as the cover isn't under any stress or movement. They want you to inspect the internals is probably why there is no drain plug. The original gaskets are re-useable.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every couple of yrs I suck as much as I can out of the fill hole and replenish w/Amsoil 75w90.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going with Felpro gasket and permatex black gasket maker combo. Confirmed 10 bolt diff. Using 3 qts of valvoline 75w 90 for rear diff, 2 quarts for front diff, 2 quarts of tranny fluid for transfer case. Blue loctite for rear diff bolts and white loctite for fill and drain plugs. Saving this for future repairs. Currently @ about 235k miles

Months later, 241k miles and no leaks/issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo