Vehicle build sheet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the GMC owners site and used the chat feature. They said my build date was 7/08/20.
Sorry to hear that :( You are in that June 1st to October 7th window. Talk to your dealer and demand they replace all of your springs. Better to be proactive than dropping a valve when your spring(s) break and destroy a new engine. I still can't believe GM is not contacting all owners affected by this. They need to do a recall and replace the springs in every engine that falls in that range. Waiting for failure and loss of engine power is a reckless option and will most lead to a lawsuit when someone gets killed or hurt in an accident. This is a major issue. To hell with their headlight color and towing sticker recall ********. This one is a major safety issue.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, this is a problem that is "recall" worthy instead of just a TSB.
As these engines continue to fail I think you will see it turn into a recall. GM does not want to piss off the customers of their big profit vehicles. Most of those have V8 engines :) Besides I doubt the government will allow GM to sweep this under the rug.

Reaction score
So the L84 engine has been around for several years now (First used in the 2019 Silverado, so mass production started in 2018 and was tested probably several years before that), so are we dealing with a change in the parts supplier for this build segment we're talking about here? Anyone know the history on how this all came about? Not that it matters much now, I guess, but I'm just curious how this came about?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Parts suppliers come and go and are always supposed to meet, in this case, GM standards. Sometimes those standards have wider parameters than I would like to see to keep costs down because the wider standard part is supposed to last at least till warranty time is up and a bit farther. So many times the aftermarket smart people build a better mouse trap, so to speak. That keeps them in business instead of GM dominating the market.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...If GM forces me into that route I will seek additional damages including our family vacation that we just cancelled due to our vehicle being a ticking mechanical time bomb

Someone take your man card away? That's just silly thinking there. Go on vacation and if she breaks, climb into another and continue on your way.

If you are really worried about your valve springs, put on a set of dual springs yourself and forget about them ever breaking. You are letting yourself be held hostage by "what if" hysteria.

Ticking time bombs, you don't even know what Pete and I and the rest of us face with these junkers. At 160K our oil pump o-rings fail and our motors lose oil pressure. At 165K our transmissions go out. Our timing chains are only rated for 200k miles and let's not talk about the airbags that go off and cut your face in half. I'm at 159,9XX miles Steve and if I had to drive to California tomorrow I would load the family up and not care one whit about any of that. You know why?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you and James don't think crap like this that GM is pulling does not affect brand reputation and resale value you are flat out wrong. When you dump 65k+ on a new vehicle and find out your engine is built with defective parts post up how that feels.

In the 1980s our earlier Buick Grand Nationals "only" had nine vane front pumps, we upgraded them to 10 vanes and they lasted longer. Think that hurt their resale value or popularity?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Someone take your man card away? That's just silly thinking there. Go on vacation and if she breaks, climb into another and continue on your way.

If you are really worried about your valve springs, put on a set of dual springs yourself and forget about them ever breaking. You are letting yourself be held hostage by "what if" hysteria.

Ticking time bombs, you don't even know what Pete and I and the rest of us face with these junkers. At 160K our oil pump o-rings fail and our motors lose oil pressure. At 165K our transmissions go out. Our timing chains are only rated for 200k miles and let's not talk about the airbags that go off and cut your face in half. I'm at 159,9XX miles Steve and if I had to drive to California tomorrow I would load the family up and not care one whit about any of that. You know why?

Hell I get what you are saying but he is talking about a brand new rig that has known problems along with other new rigs with the same problems. At least yours and my 2005 rigs have known problems to look out for but we have way more miles on ours than his new one. I love my rig, so I would put up with a lot of problems before calling it quits on it but I will still buy another NBS.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They could have just had a bad batch go thru Heat Treat.. just a bad lot. Since things like springs aren’t serialized, they have to consider the whole lot suspect. Sure it’s not great, but I wouldn’t cancel my life over it. I would require that they be changed under warranty at a mutually agreeable time..
If nothing has happened to you so far... certainly not lawyer worthy.....