Vapor Lock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hodgeee

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Very interesting. Mine does it a little also, and mine has all new components and vacuum lines plus all new evap components on the tank. I have read that sometimes it still happens with fuel injection vehicles, but very rare. Im real curious to have him fill up with the E85 and see if it fixes the problem. I was surprized also when two different techs at two different Chevy dealerships told me they run into this often out here.

After doing some research i found it is very common on earlier fuel injected jeeps. And they have specific fuel rail kits with heat wrap and heat shields. Also found that guys that have offroad LS fuel injected engine race vehicles have heat soke issues and they wrap their rails and fuel lines. This is where i got the idea of doing the wrap.

Might be jumping the gun here, gotta wait and see. He stated he ran no ethanol gas from maverick but made it worse on recommendation from dealership. Looking it up, 10% ethanol gas boils at 140 degrees, non ethanol can start to boil at 110 degrees. E85 is 173 degrees F. I have heard the gas boiling on older muscle cars out here durring the summer. Its crazy when you can hear it, like a pot of water on the stove.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Hodgeee Another test you can do, drive it for a while and get it nice and hot and then bring it home and pop the hood and put a fan on it for 5 minutes to cool the top of the motor down and try and see if the problem persists.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Mine does it a little also, and mine has all new components and vacuum lines plus all new evap components on the tank. I have read that sometimes it still happens with fuel injection vehicles, but very rare. Im real curious to have him fill up with the E85 and see if it fixes the problem. I was surprized also when two different techs at two different Chevy dealerships told me they run into this often out here.

After doing some research i found it is very common on earlier fuel injected jeeps. And they have specific fuel rail kits with heat wrap and heat shields. Also found that guys that have offroad LS fuel injected engine race vehicles have heat soke issues and they wrap their rails and fuel lines. This is where i got the idea of doing the wrap.

Might be jumping the gun here, gotta wait and see. He stated he ran no ethanol gas from maverick but made it worse on recommendation from dealership. Looking it up, 10% ethanol gas boils at 140 degrees, non ethanol can start to boil at 110 degrees. E85 is 173 degrees F. I have heard the gas boiling on older muscle cars out here durring the summer. Its crazy when you can hear it, like a pot of water on the stove.
I have no doubt that they theorize that vapor lock is the root cause of the problems they're seeing, but it would defy the laws of physics. There has to be another cause.

OP
OP
Hodgeee

Hodgeee

Reaction score
I wouldnt say it defies the laws of physics, if it gets hot enough it can still happen. Ive now found that it does happen from time to time on all different vehicles. Also these have non return fuel lines, that causes direct pressure, leaving no room to push out the vapor. So i can see it as an old used to be mechanic.

I watched a video on youtube, with a rally truck ls motor, where the guy swapped his fuel system to a return line rail due to power loss from fuel vapor.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
What’s the service / tune up history on the motor?

Have you pulled any DTC off it yet? Bottom line is you’ve gotta work off data. The dealer telling you “vapor lock” is really weak sauce. That’s typically a blow off to customers (up’s) that don’t seem to have something easy to fix or make a quick buck on.

OP
OP
Hodgeee

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Ok, he got back with me. After his 20 minute drive home, he parked the truck for 20 minutes, then went to drive it. He stated that the issue was still there, but the mildest its been in this weather. He then drove for 20 more minutes and parked again, waited 10 minutes and went for a drive. He stated it would badly fluctuate for about a mile of driving, but seemed like it settled way faster. He says he will continue to use this, as its a dollar a gallon less than regular, and he said the truck really livened up. He told me before when the temps are in the 70s it doesnt do it at all.

I think i will try it tomorrow since its time for my refill also. I found this very interesting. Mine doesnt do it unless its in the 90s temp wise, but if it makes more power, ill try it once.

So if this is working, or at least helping, maybe it is Vapor Lock. I thought the same, that it was a dealer blow off, instead of spending hours to diagnose the problem for just a diagnosis fee.

Mine didnt do it bad unless it was in the 100s. Now with this cooler weather it doesnt seem to do it at all.

No check engine lights, and i used my xtool d8, no dealer codes either???? Freakin wierd. I had mine checked and they said they couldnt reproduce it, but since its pretty mild, i just dont care, ill live with it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Order a new oem carbon canister for the fuel system. Replace it. It’s time, no matter what. If the carbon pellets fall out when replacing it, you’ve got your answer, contaminates in the fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank & vacuum system.

It won’t throw codes. It’s intermittent with the only constant being, the lower the fuel level goes, the more the pellets can obstruct things. Of course, when the motors off, the fuel pressure stops sucking them around, so a completely different kind of obstruction occurs on the next drive. AKA: gremlins.

There’s a fix, but won’t get into it until you verify if the carbon canister is compromised. It sounds like the e85 wiped away a lot of the petroleum and carbon residue.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, he got back with me. After his 20 minute drive home, he parked the truck for 20 minutes, then went to drive it. He stated that the issue was still there, but the mildest its been in this weather. He then drove for 20 more minutes and parked again, waited 10 minutes and went for a drive. He stated it would badly fluctuate for about a mile of driving, but seemed like it settled way faster. He says he will continue to use this, as its a dollar a gallon less than regular, and he said the truck really livened up. He told me before when the temps are in the 70s it doesnt do it at all.

I think i will try it tomorrow since its time for my refill also. I found this very interesting. Mine doesnt do it unless its in the 90s temp wise, but if it makes more power, ill try it once.

So if this is working, or at least helping, maybe it is Vapor Lock. I thought the same, that it was a dealer blow off, instead of spending hours to diagnose the problem for just a diagnosis fee.

Mine didnt do it bad unless it was in the 100s. Now with this cooler weather it doesnt seem to do it at all.

No check engine lights, and i used my xtool d8, no dealer codes either???? Freakin wierd. I had mine checked and they said they couldnt reproduce it, but since its pretty mild, i just dont care, ill live with it.
I’m telling you…it’s not vapor lock. I would sooner suspect a bad fuel pump, than vapor lock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hodgeee

Hodgeee

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine has all new vapor system and pump, and it does the same thing, just in hotter weather. New injectors, plugs, wires, coils, TB, and new sensors.

This was all done at 140,000 miles when i bought it. I depend on my truck to not strand me when i go hunting or camping, out in the middle of no where. It may be much, but i like renewing all these items regardless at 150,000 miles, even if they are fine.

As for my nieghbor we are looking into it. My canister was fine, and i blew out all the hoses for the reason you described. Mine were fine, and it doesnt do it at all on cooler weather. We are gonna work on his this weekend to see if thats the problem.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with vapor lock. Used to live in Colorado, and we had an 85 S-10 Blazer (carbureted). We did a lot of wheeling at high altitudes.

I've similarly abused my Suburban at high altitudes and high temperatures. The lower barometric pressure at those elevations is much more likely to induce vapor lock than simply high temperatures. And I've been in situations where the engine was operating at higher-than-normal temperatures and opening the hood felt like opening a blast furnace. The picture in my avatar is our last trip to Canyonlands, and the temperature that day was 100°, and we were driving slowly with the A/C on.

I'd start by replacing the purge solenoid. When mine went bad, I'd get the exact same behavior described by OP after filling the tank. It's a cheap part and simple to replace.

As others have said, the laws of physics say the fuel can't boil off under the pressures typical in a modern fuel-injected system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo