Utterly confused on HU wiring to PAC harness kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

400K_or_bust

Reaction score
Searched until my brain hurt and still have a few questions on which wire mates to which

I just bought an 04 Yukon Denali SWB then went and got the Kenwoos DDX8905S DVD receiver along with the PAC R5-GM11 harness to retain my steering wheel controls, OnStar and so forth.

I've soldered and applied heat shrink tubing from my PAC R5-GM11 to the following wires on the DDX8-95S HU:

1) All 4 sets of speaker wires (white/white_b, gray/gray_b, green/green_b, purple/purple_b)
2) Illumi (orange/orange_w)
3) Ignition wire (red)
4) Both Yellows from R5 to Yellow from HU
5) Both Blacks from R5 to Black on HU

What I am left with is this:

on the PAC I've got:

1) a set of 3 wires bundled that are labeled NAV (salmon, purple_w, teal_w)
2) A pair of wires (blue/blue_w) that are part of the bundle that is in the connector that plugs into the "Radio Connections" port on the R5. The blue_w wire has a label on it stating it needs to be connected to the "remote wire from aftermarket radio for audio output"
3) A plug that goes into the steering wheel controls port which has a 3.5mm jack as well as a single blue/yellow wire. The manual for the R5 tells me I use the wire and NOT the 3.5mm jack.

On the HU I've got:

1) A blue_w wire labeled P. CONT. HU manual says to connect to optional power amplifier
2) A blue wire labeled ANT CONT. Manual says it's for antenna control and to connect to either control terminal of power antenna or power terminal for booster amplifier. I'm assuming I do not use that wire as I do not have a power antenna.
3) 2 green plugs labeled CAM- and CAM+. Proprietary Kenwood b/u camera is referenced here.
4) A light green wire labeled PRK SW.
5) A purple_w wire labeled REVERSE. Manual says for optional rear view camera
5) A blue/yellow wire labeled REMOTE CONT

Thanks for reading this far...What a bunch of word soup I've written.....

Bottom line is I think all I have left to wire up is the blue/yellow wire from the R5 to the HU REMOTE CONT and then I am done and ready to pull my old unit and install the new one?

I just don't want to blow this thing up. That quote I got from the stereo shop looked kinda enticing a few times the past 2 days as I've tried to figure this thing out..

TIA for any and all help.

Few pics to help illustrate WTF I'm trying to say are below.

UtmpNYs

4Dg5svr

4xZ7Tm0

Sarrkazztic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1) All 4 sets of speaker wires (white/white_b, gray/gray_b, green/green_b, purple/purple_b)
2) Illumi (orange/orange_w)
3) Ignition wire (red)
4) Both Yellows from R5 to Yellow from HU
5) Both Blacks from R5 to Black on HU

What I am left with is this:

on the PAC I've got:

1) a set of 3 wires bundled that are labeled NAV (salmon, purple_w, teal_w) Unless you have navigation in your new HU you will not use these
2) A pair of wires (blue/blue_w) that are part of the bundle that is in the connector that plugs into the "Radio Connections" port on the R5. The blue_w wire has a label on it stating it needs to be connected to the "remote wire from aftermarket radio for audio output" connect this wire to the blue/white wire on your HU, this will give you switchable power to the interface
3) A plug that goes into the steering wheel controls port which has a 3.5mm jack as well as a single blue/yellow wire. The manual for the R5 tells me I use the wire and NOT the 3.5mm jack.

On the HU I've got:

1) A blue_w wire labeled P. CONT. HU manual says to connect to optional power amplifier this wire is only used if you have an aftermarket amplifier, this is remote power on for the amp
2) A blue wire labeled ANT CONT. Manual says it's for antenna control and to connect to either control terminal of power antenna or power terminal for booster amplifier. I'm assuming I do not use that wire as I do not have a power antenna.correct this wire is for power antenna
3) 2 green plugs labeled CAM- and CAM+. Proprietary Kenwood b/u camera is referenced here.
4) A light green wire labeled PRK SW. this is only used if you are going to play DVD's in the car...if so this needs to be connected to the park switch
5) A purple_w wire labeled REVERSE. Manual says for optional rear view camera
5) A blue/yellow wire labeled REMOTE CONTthis is your steering wheel control wire

Sarrkazztic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After you connect that light blue/yellow wire from the HU to the blue/yellow of the PAC interface, you will need to go into the setup after install and program your steering wheel buttons to the radio, and then you should be good to go.

OP
OP
400K_or_bust

400K_or_bust

Reaction score
After you connect that light blue/yellow wire from the HU to the blue/yellow of the PAC interface, you will need to go into the setup after install and program your steering wheel buttons to the radio, and then you should be good to go.

Just wanted to give you a belated thanks for your detailed reply!! I'm happy to say I ended up getting er all wired up plus added a backup camera at the same time. On to the next project.

Sarrkazztic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to give you a belated thanks for your detailed reply!! I'm happy to say I ended up getting er all wired up plus added a backup camera at the same time. On to the next project.

Well here is a belated "You're Welcome" glad I could help you solve your problem.

Sarrkazztic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442