Using Roku in 2017 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nchls28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Joined this forum because I didn't know where else to ask plus I know I'll be turning to this site for future questions/answers.

I bought a 2017 Chevy Suburban Premier with the rear seat entertainment system and I plugged a Roku streaming stick into the HDMI port. I get picture and sound on the home menu screen of the Roku and can navigate through all the channels however when I choose a video to watch I only get sound and the screen is black. When I back out of the video the picture resumes with the home screen for the Roku and all is good again. I plugged it into my TV in my house and video and sound works fine. Can't figure out what I'm missing... Curious if anyone else has hooked up the Roku streaming stick in their vehicle. Thanks for the help!

WIFFLEHOUSE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was having similar problems and ended up giving up on the roku and going with chromecast. Now the kids watch Netflix with no problem. Shame too cause I liked the roku.

OP
OP
N

nchls28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give the Chromecast a try. Been using my phone to stream movies for the kids but it's a hassle because it ties up my phone the whole time and I can't plug it in to use Apple carplay

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When powering the roku don’t use the the usb outlet next to the HDMI. Use the 120volt outlet or the cigarette lighter usb. That should take care of your issue.

HotRod104

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Newbie here too. Just bought a 2017 Suburban with the RSE system and was trying to get a Roku Stick to work as well... ended up using the 120v power adapter and got the Roku setup screen, but it was severely not lined up or formatted for the screen and I can only see the lower left portion of the screen. Sorry, see that does not give a good description... the image of the screen is "zoomed" into the lower left portion of the display. So if I was looking at the "Setup Wireless Connection" menu I can only see the lower left portion of the virtual keyboard at all. I am wondering if this is just a Roku issue and that switching to a Chromecast or Fire Stick would work without issues... or if using a streaming device is just a no-go via the system. Any guidance or input is appreciated.

JMTexasGuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try going into the settings of the Roku and changing the output resolution from auto to 720P. The issue with auto is that it’ll try to match the output of the content you choose, but the screen will not handle higher resolutions. Manually setting it to 720p forces it to output the lower resolution for all content, thus fixing the issues.

jsun0079

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same issue as HotRod104. Just got a 2018 Yukon and can't get Roku Express to work on RSE. The screen appears zoomed in so I can only see a small portion of the Roku menu. I am connecting using HDMI and tried powering with both the USB and 120v. I even tried setting up the Roku on my home tv and set the Roku display to 720p but when I took it out to the car, I got the same zoomed in screen. Any advice or should I go with a different device or does anyone have any recommendations for DLNA apps that work with Apple iOS?

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give the Chromecast a try. Been using my phone to stream movies for the kids but it's a hassle because it ties up my phone the whole time and I can't plug it in to use Apple carplay
How are you able to stream movies from your iPhone?

Brandon Hubbard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not done this but assuming for iPhone... av video adaptor to hdmi to hdmi/lightening adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts