Using Roku in 2017 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonathan Leitner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was so excited when the salesman was going over specs on the infotainment unit -- wireless projection to individual screens from your phone, and built in Wi-Fi in the vehicle? I wrongfully assumed that this mean the whole infotainment unit used the WiFi in the car, and we could cast to each screen.

Anyway, the first thing I had in my car was a Fire TV unit. It worked pretty well. We had a pii bluetooth keyboard paired to make typing easier, had it setup to the in car WiFI and life was good. At some point, my Fire TV updated-- and life turned bad. IT would no longer display on in car units. So I bought a Chromecast, and that worked *fairly* well. The only issue here, is that there are 6 of us in the car on trips, and the WiFi gets pretty bogged down at times; and controlling the Chromecast from your phone requires you to be on the same WiFi network... The older model worked better for us. I thought I would try a Roku, but I've run into the same issue as the OP.

I'm guessing, but I"m not sure, that the reason the Fire TV stopped working was because of HDCP. Has anyone run down any info on this, or the Roku zoom issue? I tried talking to Roku support, and they said that it was not a resolution issue, but an aspect ration issue; and I needed to contact the mfr of the the TV for help adjusting those settings-- which doesn't sound right to me at all.

So.. I'm stuck with the Chromecast for now I guess -- which by the way is an AMAZING thing in the House, but I'd rather the Roku or Fire TV in the Sub.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apple TV with Netflix or Amazon Prime Video or Youtube TV works

Denalitank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My kids are 11 and 13. I was debating to do the roku setup in my '17 Yukon XL Denali. Ended up just ordering them HDMI to Type C cable from Amazon. Their LG (Android) phones to stream Netflix from. Less electronics and remotes I have to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 GMC Yukon SLT. I have a roku and it works just fine. I bought a HDMI to AV converter on Amazon and the picture looks great! Connect the RCA cables to back of the center console, then HDMI cable to the Roku stick. I power it from the 12v on the back console or from the front USB ports
7613ce7d4d176691fbda40c4b2488936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to search but there's a chrome cast that doesn't need a router to mirror but only some models work good .. I have ruko that has RCA plugs . Netflix download and hbo download work great now for remote play .

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

STiGuy07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I know this is old but I'm a newbie.

Vehicle: 2017 Suburban Premier (w/ at&t internet)

Anyone have success connecting the roku stick directly into the back of center console and powering with the 110v plug?

Side note: from my living room, I connected it to my truck's wifi and made sure the resolution was set to 720 and not 1080.

STiGuy07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: I tried Roku stick and fire stick Lite (hdmi plug and power outlet connected). None were even recognized by my 2017 Suburban Premier! Very frustrating.

Is there a specific model that works (plug and play)?

17suburbanpremier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 suburban premier and I use the Roku express; the only thing I had to do was adjust the video to 720 so it would work on the dual screens in the back; kids love it and it works without fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne