Used prices and "the recall"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but even then, $10K more can get you in a 2020 Durango R/T with a Hemi and 20K miles. $28K is strong for a 9 year old Tahoe LT with few options.

The strength of the pricing on these models is directly related to supply and demand. It is really hard to find a vehicle that delivers as much as these models do for the cost of ongoing operation. Dealers (of all types) sense really quickly "what the market will bear" and very quickly get to that number. The web "buying tools services" provide a lot of intel to the average buyer. These tools provide more to the dealers. It is that simple.

The notion that dealers are "afraid" to sell a given car because GM is slow walking repairs of an airbag recall that has never resulted in a single unintended deployment is conspiracy theory of the highest order.

OP
OP
vcode

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The strength of the pricing on these models is directly related to supply and demand. It is really hard to find a vehicle that delivers as much as these models do for the cost of ongoing operation. Dealers (of all types) sense really quickly "what the market will bear" and very quickly get to that number. The web "buying tools services" provide a lot of intel to the average buyer. These tools provide more to the dealers. It is that simple.

The notion that dealers are "afraid" to sell a given car because GM is slow walking repairs of an airbag recall that has never resulted in a single unintended deployment is conspiracy theory of the highest order.
So what explanation do you have for 3 GM dealers sending 3 different vehicles (2011-2013 with under 60K miles and clean Carfaxes) back to the auction block? With prices so strong, it would seem wise to keep them a reap a big profit.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what explanation do you have for 3 GM dealers sending 3 different vehicles (2011-2013 with under 60K miles and clean Carfaxes) back to the auction block? With prices so strong, it would seem wise to keep them a reap a big profit.

Maybe because the local demographic either can't afford "what someone else will pay" or just doesn't fit the same demographic who want low mileage examples and are willing to pay big premiums to get.

The dealers aren't "afraid" of selling a car with an open recall, period. The liability of that recall product rests solely with GM and Takata, not the dealer. A liability GM seems pretty convinced is not there or they wouldn't be slow walking repairs.

Your theory about dealers and these cars is without merit, honest, it is just in your head.

OP
OP
vcode

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe because the local demographic either can't afford "what someone else will pay" or just doesn't fit the same demographic who want low mileage examples and are willing to pay big premiums to get.

The dealers aren't "afraid" of selling a car with an open recall, period. The liability of that recall product rests solely with GM and Takata, not the dealer. A liability GM seems pretty convinced is not there or they wouldn't be slow walking repairs.

Your theory about dealers and these cars is without merit, honest, it is just in your head.
Geesh, it was only a question, don't need to make me out as a mental case.
But if you think that a dealer wouldn't get sued "if" there was an issue with an airbag, your head is far deeper in the sand than mine. Gee Mr. dealer manager, please tell
us why you sold a vehicle to this poor young family that you knew had a open recall for a serious safety issue. I've seen the crap lawyers pull.....

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geesh, it was only a question, don't need to make me out as a mental case.
But if you think that a dealer wouldn't get sued "if" there was an issue with an airbag, your head is far deeper in the sand than mine. Gee Mr. dealer manager, please tell
us why you sold a vehicle to this poor young family that you knew had a open recall for a serious safety issue. I've seen the crap lawyers pull.....

Well, I apologize if you took my posts as calling you out as a serious mental case, that was not my intention. Vivid imagination maybe, but serious mental case?, no.

I recall some pretty sage advice that may or maynot apply here: Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :)

OP
OP
vcode

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I apologize if you took my posts as calling you out as a serious mental case, that was not my intention. Vivid imagination maybe, but serious mental case?, no.

I recall some pretty sage advice that may or maynot apply here: Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :)
No problem. My wife would be the first to tell you I'm nuts. I just found it strange that several vehicles I was looking at suddenly went back to auction for no
apparent reason, something I had never seen before. The timing of the recall may just have been a co-incidence. FWIW, all the vehicles were in the Chicago area.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. My wife would be the first to tell you I'm nuts. I just found it strange that several vehicles I was looking at suddenly went back to auction for no
apparent reason, something I had never seen before. The timing of the recall may just have been a co-incidence. FWIW, all the vehicles were in the Chicago area.

A couple of things I have observed about price and region, lately I have been tracking new Yukons. Without a doubt, the most aggressive dealer's pricing wise are located in the upper midwest. Out here, the local guy took all his discounts off maybe a month ago.

As far as dealers sending used cars to auction from inventory. There can be a lot of motivations, much of which can be driven by inventory financing. The covenants of their flooring loans can be pretty arcane, driving seemingly crazy behavior, at least to those that don't understand the financing terms. I had a friend in the business and until I fell asleep, he explained how some of his inventory loans worked, which drove a lot of his decisions stock wise.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me a few months to find a good deal. I bought a 2015 Tahoe LTZ in 11/2020 for 28k. Only thing is it had 104k miles on it but it’s in excellent condition. Really have to look around and be open to drive far to get one. I drove 5 hours to get that one.

Nima

Reaction score
So what is up with the insane prices for used triplets from this era? $28K for a 2012 Tahoe LT with 50K miles? Holy %$#@! There are others equally high. I can get a used 2020 Nissan Armada with 34k miles (yeah, I know it's a Nissan) for $31K! Also, I have inquired about 3 other vehicles (2 Escalades and a Yukon) with low miles that have mysteriously disappeared from dealer lots. On all three I was told they were returning to the auto auction. Surprising given the crazy prices out there. Or are the dealers (these were GM) afraid to sell these with a safety recall and no parts?

Greg
Where are you from?

JJKNIGHT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stay away from dealer as 1st pic, if possible. There are a lot of private party FSBO that n the interwebs on places like TRED, AutoTrader, etc. You’ll save enough to have a vehicle inspector check the truck out before hand and use it as a no hassle devaluation tool to motivate the seller.

This works out well if it’s an out of state vehicle. Most of those sites allow the entire trans to be completed online to keep you out of the DMV and complete the financial portion in escrow for safety. They usually offer a VSC for high mileage vehicles to secure you from any surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well let me share my two cents worth. See my Thumbnail? My Tahoe was hit head-on back in August. It killed the poor kid that hit me in a Hyundai Santa Fe, pretty big unit, I got busted up in my feet, right ankle and back in three places plus 8 ribs dislocated with 4 broken.

I had over $50K into this unit but I'll tell you all this...

Until you have that conversation with Jesus about staying or leaving with him, you'll appreciate every ounce of American Steel in these Tahoe's. They may be high in prices, but they are SAFE!!

I got on Cars.com while laid up trying to breath, found another Tahoe exactly like the one I had with 2K more miles on it and I got it for $28K. Jim Taylor Ford in Ruston, LA. I called and put a $500 deposit down and listen, these guys HELD this unit for me for over 4 weeks until I could get my Insurance company to pay off the other one. They even drove it up to my house and parked it out in front of my porch so I could roll out in my wheelchair and check it out. Signed the papers and they were gone, handed me the keys and left. That's service.

So far, I've gotten a brand new PORTED L86 Intake with the 87mm KaTech Throttle body installed with a sweet Dyno Tune from Gwatney Performance Innovations in Jacksonville, AR across from the entrance to the Air Force base.

They did some sensor deletes for me so I can install a bumper/winch combo from Weston HTX. I am also saving to get my exhaust installed. I'm going with a set of Stainless Works Headers, X pipes, and Turbo Mufflers with real dual exhaust.
Check em out on YT.

Later I'll do my lift kit for the front and get my rims and tires I had back on it. IF i can find the Snowflakes.

GOD BLESS and take care,

JJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63