Used Police Package 'Hoes at auction blocks??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klutch7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys, I remember back in 07-08 when the 2005 Police Tahoes were hitting auction blocks everywhere, so when are the 2007+ PP tahoes gonna hit auction blocks?? I sold my '06 and got a TBSS for now, but want one of the new PP tahoes soooo badly. Anyone know when they will hit the used car lots??

Thanks

Max

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think some people are living in the past.

After the stock market crash, everyone has had to tighten their belts and the days of police departments getting new vehicles every year and selling used vehicles with low miles on them - are pretty much over.

The only thing I have seen lately is the introduction of a new model of Chevrolet that they designed to be a police car only. It is called the Caprice.

I see no real difference between the Impala and the Caprice other then that they are going to make the body wider and the doors higher then the Impala so there will be more room inside of the vehicle and it will be easier to get prisioners in and out of the vehicle.

http://www.driversense.com/driversense/column/483

UofMZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the caprice is the former G8, since pontiac went bye bye chevy picked up that car because it did well and renamed it...

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

but to answer your question you could probably just make one... wouldnt be as ragged out either!

OP
OP
K

klutch7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have seen the new g8 cop rendition, but am only really interested in the tahoe. Do precincts and departments lease these? or just finance them and sell them when appropriate?

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Pennsylvania, which is a rust belt state.

The PA State Police vehicles are handled through a special department of the department of transportation and they have a special facility which preps the vehicles - marked vehicles before they go out on the road. Installs some of the radio's, computers, printer, lights, sirens, badges etc. When they are through with the vehicle, it goes back through their facility and everything is removed and then the vehicle is painted a plain color - usually something other then white and then it is ran through a auction such as the auction in Harrisburg PA.

The County, township, boro, city vehicles are bought through the old GM COPO = where they buy them at a wholesale price because the state goes to the trouble of ordering them for them - say 50 at a time and then the boro's buy them and send them to a place where they get their own paint job and badges. Those people usually runs them until they are no longer reliable. Then they remove all radios and badges and they either sell them at public auction or they put a ad in the paper where you can put a bid in on the vehicle. Usually - you are not allowed to drive it or even start it up before you buy it.

You might could get one pretty cheap, but by the time they are done with it, it is wore out from one end to the other. Generally the oil has been changed as per the lease agreement and then per the mininum standards per their vehicle service plan - after that - it is a crap shoot as to when anything was done or how good it was taken care of.

Some state and local vehicles are by law required to have the back seat taken out after every shift. After 100,000 miles, the interior is usually shot. The suspension is usually wore out and the engine and transmission is shot. The body is all beat up and some things might be broke or missing. The old joke is to never buy a used rental vehicle - because you know what people do to a rental car. Well double or triple the abuse and that is what you get with a used police vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada