Urgent help with upr catch can install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you've done it wrong. The PCV valve is on the front of the drivers side valve cover, it is a one way valve the allows gasses to pass thru it only, I think you have it circled in the 1st pic and the other side is to the front throttle body kinda below the engine cover. You are in effect, adding the can to the original line start and end point so that the oil vapors can fall out of suspense and collect withing the can instead of your valves and intake. I had to lift my engine cover up to make it easier put it is really plug and play.

OP
OP
P

ptm82379

Reaction score
I believe you've done it wrong. The PCV valve is on the front of the drivers side valve cover, it is a one way valve the allows gasses to pass thru it only, I think you have it circled in the 1st pic and the other side is to the front throttle body kinda below the engine cover. You are in effect, adding the can to the original line start and end point so that the oil vapors can fall out of suspense and collect withing the can instead of your valves and intake. I had to lift my engine cover up to make it easier put it is really plug and play.
Mine isn't set up like that as far as I can tell.

Both valve covers have ports that vent directly into the air intake.

The only line that went into the intake manifold was the one that was near the throttle body. It actually looks more like a pcv valve.

What year is yours?
Do you have pics of your setup?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

ptm82379

Reaction score
This video is for an 18 but it's set up exactly like mine. The pcv valve is under-ish the throttle body and the clean side is on the drivers side intake manifold.

Note the 2 lines going into his air intake coming off his valve covers.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2019. Your video is a truck. Trucks and SUV's are different. Drivers side is dirty air almost always and passenger side is clean air, almost always. The passenger port should feed air before the throttle body. The PCV valve will be in the valve cover (although its not a valve anymore, its a baffled port) Interrupt that line with the catch can, install catch can and run the other end into the intake, not throttle body. THis pic might help.s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
P

ptm82379

Reaction score
After 2 tanks of gas I hit the drain on the can and got about 1/4 of an ounce out. I believe it is doing its job

OP
OP
P

ptm82379

Reaction score
Ok, I had some free time today while working on another vehicle so I did some digging. Hopefully these details will help anyone else with this engine. It is not setup like the typical tahoe 5.3. Why? I have no idea but we bought it from a chevrolet dealership used. I will be documenting all of my statements with pictures.

1. The ports on my valve covers ARE NOT PCV valves. They are ports and they vent directly into the airbox resonator. There is a very small amount of oil that has collected in the elbow of the fitting bit I examined the airbox and there is no oily mist making it anywhere near the throttle body. Look at the pictures and you will see the hose routing. The drivers side does not terminate into the intake manifold like it would if it were a pcv valve. On the contrary, it is a pressed in metal fitting. No valve action to it, straight pass through the valve cover.
Top_Air_Intake_Valve_Cover_Port_Routing.jpg
Valve_Cover_Port.jpg

2. My PCV valve is Located under and slightly to the right of my throttle body. The original line for this followed the drivers side fuel rail ant terminated into a fitting in the drivers side intake manifold. This termination point is the exact same as the models that have the PCV valves in the driver side valve cover. Here are some pictures of the Actual PCV and its termination point on my LT.
PCV_Close_Up.jpgPCV_Labels.jpg
Intake_Manifold_Fitting.jpg

Final thoughts and questions I asked myself:

I ordered the incorrect setup for my application if I want to capture all of the inputs. The correct catch can setup would have 3 inputs and 3 outputs or 2 inputs and 2 outputs with tee fittings for the air box ins and outs.

Am I concerned? Not really...the amount of oily mist passing through the valve covers into the airbox is small to none. As stated above, a VERY SMALL amount collects in the elbow fittings and none has made it through to the throttle body. For proof look at the butterfly on my throttle body. The truck has 76000 miles and this has never been cleaned. If there was oil making it to there, it would certainly show and it would need to be pretty heavy for me to care.

Verdict: Im keeping it the way it is setup. It is catching oil, it is doing its job.

I sincerely hope that this helps someone in the future. Thank you all for your help.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have it right. I went overboard with a 2 catch can system, why not since is bought it new. Clean side small can has caught almost nothing but that is really intended for a boosted setup (turbo supercharger which I don't have) big can catches a lot. Here is a detailed overview of the 2 can system which may help explain the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YwLBU_1wQ&t=7s

OP
OP
P

ptm82379

Reaction score
You have it right. I went overboard with a 2 catch can system, why not since is bought it new. Clean side small can has caught almost nothing but that is really intended for a boosted setup (turbo supercharger which I don't have) big can catches a lot. Here is a detailed overview of the 2 can system which may help explain the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YwLBU_1wQ&t=7s
Could you repost that link? I can't get it to work but I'd really like to see it. Thanks!