Upgrading 2008 Tahoe LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fellow firefighter's 2008 Tahoe is clearly having AFM failure. In looking for best solutions I've seen some 2011 Tahoes with issues going cheap. Can a 6L80e trans along with the engine and computer be used as a donor? His wife loves her LTZ and wants to keep it forever. The body and frame are immaculate.

Related there are Yukons out there but I think he doesn't want AWD and would prefer to stick with 4WD. Can that be adjusted for in the computers? I think it would be nice to keep the VVT in the newer engines.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fellow firefighter's 2008 Tahoe is clearly having AFM failure. In looking for best solutions I've seen some 2011 Tahoes with issues going cheap. Can a 6L80e trans along with the engine and computer be used as a donor? His wife loves her LTZ and wants to keep it forever. The body and frame are immaculate.

Related there are Yukons out there but I think he doesn't want AWD and would prefer to stick with 4WD. Can that be adjusted for in the computers? I think it would be nice to keep the VVT in the newer engines.

If he is handy, there are any number of AFM Delete YouTube videos out there and some threads here very close to home. Freshened heads, new cam, valley cover, lifters and trays, maybe a new oil pump and O ring and a bunch of gaskets, done.

If he isn't handy, find a quality shop and get it done. The lower end will last as long as his wife. :)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's more involved than just the trans and computer swap. The shifter, gauges and vehicle harness are different. I'd LOVE to have a 6L80, but I'd have to find a wrecked '09+ and get EVERYTHING from it to swap in. It'll never happen.

For the engine, you can add VVT. So, if a VVT engine were swapped in, you'd add the harness and have it added to the tune. You can also get a VVT engine and swap in a standard cam and timing set and get the appropriate front cover.

Is the engine in the Tahoe not repairable with an AFM delete?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I don't really know the status of the bottom end. It's had low oil pressure for a while. He's also considering refreshing my 220k mile removed 5.3 and we can do a quicker swap. That helps me by not tying up my garage waiting for stuff that we discover inside.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I don't really know the status of the bottom end. It's had low oil pressure for a while. He's also considering refreshing my 220k mile removed 5.3 and we can do a quicker swap. That helps me by not tying up my garage waiting for stuff that we discover inside.

How many miles are on it? What issues is it having? Any idea at all of the internal condition (found sludge under a rocker cover or the oil cap) ?

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting all the information. He has the car at his house and I think I'm just one option he's considering. He just may be more frugal than me. It's his wife's car and she has another vehicle she hates that she can drive.

I told him to call Texas Speed for the AFM delete kit. He'd like a little more power but doesn't want to have to use anything but regular gas so I don't know what they can offer for a cam. I already see some scope creep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz