Upgrade remote start to smartphone functionality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Sierra Denali, already has key fob remote start.

I want to upgrade it so I can remote start via smartphone. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad?

Right now, leaning towards a Viper SmartStart professionally installed at a local car audio place.

TIA

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i went with an idatastart my wife likes it. i liked the option to pick and chose the extra features i wanted and still buying the same module. i went with remote start option off the factory fob. but the module is capable of what you want along with various other features i thought were pretty neat. i hear alot of good things about the viper kits but i wasn't sure i wanted all the other stuff. the idatastart allows upgrades to the base system to be installed at a later time if you chose. gave me the option to pay a cheaper price from the start and opt to buy the rest later if i wanted.

anyway i doubt ill do anything with the telematics smart phone option as ive already had issues with other things that worked through my phone. i replaced the phone once and i could never get the device to work correctly again. another time i got an update on my phone that didn't like the telematics app and completely lost functionality until an update came out.

Reaction score
The easiest would be Onstar. Their cheapest plan, like $15-20/month, allows remote start/stop, lock/unlock through the GM app from anywhere. It also has vehicle locate, which shows you on a map where it is, and status, which includes fuel level, oil life, milage, tire psi, and range I believe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest would be Onstar. Their cheapest plan, like $15-20/month, allows remote start/stop, lock/unlock through the GM app from anywhere. It also has vehicle locate, which shows you on a map where it is, and status, which includes fuel level, oil life, milage, tire psi, and range I believe.

It won't work on the 2009 as it has an older version of Onstar that doesn't offer that option. He could however, replace the module with a 2010+ and tell Onstar his '09 is really a 2012 Impala (if that's where the new module came from) and he'd be golden.

mcislak

Reaction score
I installed a compustar dc3-lc with the drone mobile add on about a year ago. one of the best things I've done to our suburban. the factory remote sucked so bad I practically had to be in the car for it to work. I used one of the pre wired harnesses as well and made install super simple.

Reaction score
I installed a compustar dc3-lc with the drone mobile add on about a year ago. one of the best things I've done to our suburban. the factory remote sucked so bad I practically had to be in the car for it to work. I used one of the pre wired harnesses as well and made install super simple.
How much does that drone mobile plan run per month?

mcislak

Reaction score
How much does that drone mobile plan run per month?

Monthly not sure I think I paid like 80 bucks for the year with some Black Friday deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan