How are thieves using OnStar to steal Yukons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

My 2018 Yukon Denali was stolen In February. The police said there is a ring of thieves in the Dallas area targeting Yukons, Tahoes, and Sierras by compromising the OnStar system to gain control of the vehicle. Apparently they physically connect a device to the onstar port / module which allows them to unlock the doors, start the vehicle, and drive off without a key fob. They took mine in less than 3 minutes and there was no broken glass.

I’ve just purchased a 2022 Yukon SLT and I’m paranoid about it happening again. Does anyone know exactly how they compromise the OnStar unit? I think I read there is a port under the hood that can be accessed. If true I would look at adding a physical lock to the hood (even though it’s already “locked” with the hood release).

I’m also considering adding a kill switch In a hidden place. I believe this would prevent the engine from being started under any circumstances if the switch is off. It would take away my remote start capability but that’s a trade off I may have to make.

I looked at adding CompuStar but it’s not available for the 2022 Yukon. I even contacted ConpuStar and they said it should not be installed.

Finally, I’ve hidden two Apple AirTags in the vehicle, but I suspect thieves will be looking for those. Apple even released an Android app that will scan for them.

I’m just trying to think of anything I can do to secure my vehicle from these losers. I realize if they are committed they can take it, but I can make it more difficult.

Thanks for any input or advice.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is partly erroneous information, they can open the door with a slim jim, pop the hood, connect a ecm that has been security deleted, start and drive the vehicle away.
there is no "onstar port" there is a OBD port which is for diagnostics which could play some part in it.
that being said I haven't read of anything indicating a onstar hack, this would be the first.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think that is partly erroneous information, they can open the door with a slim jim, pop the hood, connect a ecm that has been security deleted, start and drive the vehicle away.
there is no "onstar port" there is a OBD port which is for diagnostics which could play some part in it.
that being said I haven't read of anything indicating a onstar hack, this would be the first.
Thanks. Not claiming that any of this is correct - just what I’ve heard. So maybe they’re not starting it with onstar, but they are definitely disabling it. At the time of the theft I received 3 different onstar emails at the same time saying my air bag, transmission, and engine needed servicing. I couldn’t connect from the onstar app and when I called onstar they were unable to connect to it or track the vehicle.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on the Duramax forum with surveillance video of the thieves doing this exact theft. They stole his 2021 Duramax HD using a laptop. What they are accessing? I dont know, it was alleged they catch your code when you use the remote to lock the truck?? They were in another car in the parking lot, and it showed them with a laptop and the lights in the truck going on when they unlocked it. Got in drove away. They quickly diabled the onstar and GPS. Very high tech these days. A simple steering wheel lock like the old day would have foiled this theft. This happened in a hotel parking lot. They stake out for your truck.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There is a guy on the Duramax forum with surveillance video of the thieves doing this exact theft. They stole his 2021 Duramax HD using a laptop. What they are accessing? I dont know, it was alleged they catch your code when you use the remote to lock the truck?? They were in another car in the parking lot, and it showed them with a laptop and the lights in the truck going on when they unlocked it. Got in drove away. They quickly diabled the onstar and GPS. Very high tech these days. A simple steering wheel lock like the old day would have foiled this theft. This happened in a hotel parking lot. They stake out for your truck.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll try to find that video.

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

This video has a story about Onstar thefts in the area and mentions changing the computer under the hood, though it doesn’t specify that it’s the OnStar computer:

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

In our case my wife parked the Yukon at 10:30 am in a doctors office parking lot. It was stolen at 1:00 pm so it’s unlikely they intercepted her key fob signal and waited 2.5 hours. The police said they cruise parking lots looking for late model high end GMCs with OnStar. “In fact it’s not even my first case today”. This was in Plano TX - a fairly upscale area.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video has a story about Onstar thefts in the area and mentions changing the computer under the hood, though it doesn’t specify that it’s the OnStar computer:

you have it confused they are simply disabling onstar after the fact so they can't be traced
it's just like I said they slimjim the door, pop the hood, change the computer.
quote: “Within 3 minutes [thieves] were able to pop the lock, pop the hood, change the computer, disable the OnStar and steal my truck,” Hamlin said.
I have a idea how to prevent these thefts but it's my shark tank idea and it would work for all gm makes and models, it will stop them in there tracks.
I need to patent it

OP
OP
Y

Yukon2828

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Makes sense. So what computer are they changing? And are they disabling the OnStar under the hood or inside the vehicle? Would locking the hood keep them from changing the computer or disabling onstar?