Updated valve covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmunRoo

Reaction score
I'm new to the big body SUV ownership thing. I have a 2007 Denali with the 6.2L engine. I've heard a few people tell me that I need updated valve covers and I'm not too sure what they're talking about. I believe it has something to do with PCV location. I would love to get some information on this and possibly reference part numbers for the appropriate valve covers.

Thanks in advance

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the big body SUV ownership thing. I have a 2007 Denali with the 6.2L engine. I've heard a few people tell me that I need updated valve covers and I'm not too sure what they're talking about. I believe it has something to do with PCV location. I would love to get some information on this and possibly reference part numbers for the appropriate valve covers.

Thanks in advance
The current part number for the improved driver's side valve cover for your 2007 is 12570427.

The PCV system has no moving parts unlike the old days. The opening for the gasses to pass into the PCV hoses was too close to a rocker and oil would get sucked up into the line increasing engine oil consumption. GM simply moved the opening over and I think they reshaped it some. Chris has some photos somewhere on here of them side by side. @iamdub

For those coming along later, there are different part numbers of the improved rocker cover which changed after 2008 to 12642655. These numbers apply to all 5.3 and 6.2 motors.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance
Your Denali doesn't have a pvc valve. The pcv system is built into the driver side valve cover. The original valve cover sucks engine oil out thru the valve cover into the intake manifold and into the combustion chambers where it is burnt. Result at best is oil consumption. Worst yet (like my 07 Denali) would be stuck rings which causes even worse oil consumption.

The GM updated valve cover pt# 12570427.

You should also add a catch can.

Here is a GM Technical Service Bulletin you may be interested in about "oil consumption": https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727