Updated Key Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
Now I don't feel bad paying $15/month for Onstar and being able to use their app to locate/unlock/start/send directions to/and get info such as fuel level, tire pressures, and oil life percentage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that this option is only available from a certain model year onward. I seem to remember it being 10 or 11 onward, but I’m not sure. Still though, at $15 a month that’s $180 a year and it doesn’t take long to get up to the cost of a full blown system installed.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that this option is only available from a certain model year onward. I seem to remember it being 10 or 11 onward, but I’m not sure. Still though, at $15 a month that’s $180 a year and it doesn’t take long to get up to the cost of a full blown system installed.
What does an expensive system get me that Onstar vehicle locating and/or shutdown doesn't?

I mean, if someone is gonna break in and steal something out of it they're gonna do it whether you have an alarm or not. By the time you're notified and get to it, it's too late.

Plus don't forget a subscription with that system to be able to remotely access features?

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
If OnStar was smart they would create a plan that allows only the smartphone app features alone and charge like $6 or $8 a month. I think they would get a ton of subscribers. I think the current $15 plan price point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Reaction score
If OnStar was smart they would create a plan that allows only the smartphone app features alone and charge like $6 or $8 a month. I think they would get a ton of subscribers. I think the current $15 plan price point is a deal breaker for a lot of people.
They do offer just a remote access plan. It's currently $15/month or $150/year. When I first got it, it was real cheap for like the first year (like $9 a month), then it went up a bit.

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
They do offer just a remote access plan. It's currently $15/month or $150/year. When I first got it, it was real cheap for like the first year (like $9 a month), then it went up a bit.

I would be interested in that plan, as I’m sure others would, if it were cheaper.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart start for the win. You do have to upgrade the module every couple of
Years

Brendan Shurilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the boost remotes, and they have been great. The only thing I don't care for is that you still have to hold the rear door and hatch release to open them, vs. the printing on the remote that says press 2x. But that is just the difference from the 2011 I have vs the 2015+

OP
OP
U

UpAndDown

Reaction score
I did the boost remotes, and they have been great. The only thing I don't care for is that you still have to hold the rear door and hatch release to open them, vs. the printing on the remote that says press 2x. But that is just the difference from the 2011 I have vs the 2015+

Have you noticed any difference, better or worse, in the range you’re getting with the new remotes? As far as the printing goes, I’m not sure if my 08 can do the glass or hatch pop with 2x presses or if one long press is required.

warndogg

Reaction score
Have you noticed any difference, better or worse, in the range you’re getting with the new remotes? As far as the printing goes, I’m not sure if my 08 can do the glass or hatch pop with 2x presses or if one long press is required.
Honestly mine's about a year old the range is no different than the factory and the white on the buttons is already starting to fade Plus for my year 96 Tahoe I lost my rear Glass Popper. In my opinion I would just buy a cheap Amazon or ebay one

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there’s a company called Boost Auto Parts, with whom I have never done business, that sells the newer rectangular style key fobs for use on our platform trucks. Does anyone know if they do any modifications to get these to work or if they’re just plain oem remotes? If they’re not modified then I can get them cheaper on eBay and I like the looks of the non-chrome version as well which Boost doesn’t offer. What I would really like is a remote or some sort of a plug and play adapter that increases the range of the OEM fob for remote start purposes. The range is terrible. Thanks
I bought an escalade key fob for my denali. was only $16 on ebay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17