Updated Key Fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UpAndDown

Reaction score
So there’s a company called Boost Auto Parts, with whom I have never done business, that sells the newer rectangular style key fobs for use on our platform trucks. Does anyone know if they do any modifications to get these to work or if they’re just plain oem remotes? If they’re not modified then I can get them cheaper on eBay and I like the looks of the non-chrome version as well which Boost doesn’t offer. What I would really like is a remote or some sort of a plug and play adapter that increases the range of the OEM fob for remote start purposes. The range is terrible. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
www.directed.com, I have 1 mile line of sight and worldwide with the phone app. (smartstart)

btw**not oem but your oem remote will still work like normal, I only use my oem remote if I need to program the tpms or something.

Reaction score
www.directed.com, I have 1 mile line of sight and worldwide with the phone app. (smartstart)

btw**not oem but your oem remote will still work like normal, I only use my oem remote if I need to program the tpms or something.
Cost of something like that? Also, is there a monthly or annual subscription?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there’s a company called Boost Auto Parts, with whom I have never done business, that sells the newer rectangular style key fobs for use on our platform trucks. Does anyone know if they do any modifications to get these to work or if they’re just plain oem remotes? If they’re not modified then I can get them cheaper on eBay and I like the looks of the non-chrome version as well which Boost doesn’t offer. What I would really like is a remote or some sort of a plug and play adapter that increases the range of the OEM fob for remote start purposes. The range is terrible. Thanks
They’re custom made, with boards inside that communicate with either the NBS or NNBS platforms but fit the ‘15-up cases. You can buy a black case for it off eBay and swap the internals over like I did. But you can’t buy a normal ‘15-up remote and have it work with the older trucks. If you want one of the long-range alternatives be prepared to pay but they’re available. Just not cheap and not plug any play.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost of something like that? Also, is there a monthly or annual subscription?

depends on the security system you choose, prices vary but the "directed" brand will work with all there other sub-brands, it's a marketing scheme viper, clifford, avatol, etc are all sub-brands but the directed components are 100% compatible. so for instance the "viper" smart start might run $199, but the "Directed" smart start might run $125, inside they are identical parts.
subscriptions are annual or tri-annual, it's not expensive $6-10 a month is how it breaks down. Peace of mind for me I think my trucks are more secure than my home.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on the security system you choose, prices vary but the "directed" brand will work with all there other sub-brands, it's a marketing scheme viper, clifford, avatol, etc are all sub-brands but the directed components are 100% compatible. so for instance the "viper" smart start might run $199, but the "Directed" smart start might run $125, inside they are identical parts.
subscriptions are annual or tri-annual, it's not expensive $6-10 a month is how it breaks down. Peace of mind for me I think my trucks are more secure than my home.
But that $125 or $199 is just the remote start, not the whole system or install price, correct? Seemed to me when I was looking it was more like $800-1000 installed for security plus remote start, can’t remember but I know it was kinda steep for me.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that $125 or $199 is just the remote start, not the whole system or install price, correct? Seemed to me when I was looking it was more like $800-1000 installed for security plus remote start, can’t remember but I know it was kinda steep for me.
you can get a basic security system installed for $300-400 the smartstart and other sensors are easy to add-on yourself, the smartstart just plugs into the security system brain and so do any additional sensors. The only catch is the smartstart has to be activated by a dealer, mine did it for me at no cost all they have to do is log in and add the serial number to the system.
you just have to do a little research and see if the security system is smartstart compatible, I had the shop install like a $350 avitol to the wifes 05, then I added the smartstart myself later and just had them activate it
price has gone down on the module it's only $104 right now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKNFZYX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
it will work with this system
https://www.amazon.com/Avital-Secur...ital+5305l&qid=1623013544&s=automotive&sr=1-1
then you can add a glass break sensor and or a tilt sensor for like $10 each off ebay just be sure they are directed brand
once the alarm is installed any additional sensors just plug-in no additional programming is needed, same for the smartstart it just has to be activated by a dealer
a glass sensor has a mic so you just put the mic up by the front pillar like a bluetooth mic, tilt sensor can go inside behind the drivers fuse panel it has to be placed horizontal is all.
smartstart just has to be under the dash up near the top so it can get a signal. all pretty easy to add-on

Reaction score
Now I don't feel bad paying $15/month for Onstar and being able to use their app to locate/unlock/start/send directions to/and get info such as fuel level, tire pressures, and oil life percentage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645