Up and down idle after intake manifold gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a DBW or DBC throttle body? Just wondering why you throttle position sensor says 0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Fixture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bottomline2000, its just the stock 2002 TB.

Is there a way to test the TPS? if so what voltage/ohms should I be looking for?

Jonathan

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottomline2000, its just the stock 2002 TB.

Is there a way to test the TPS? if so what voltage/ohms should I be looking for?

Jonathan
I mean is it an electronic or cable driven throttle body. You should not be showing 0% tps at idle. Even at idle it should be slightly open. I'm going to edit this with a screenshot from my EFI Live catalog at idle. Mine is modified so my idle rpm may be higher than yours but the % is still relative. Mine is dbw..drive by wire or an electronic tb and it's stock.

upload_2018-12-20_10-57-43.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fixture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is dbw. 2 cables attach to the passenger side. Not electric.

I will hookup my laptop tomorrow and get a reading cold and when the idle warms up and it's steady at 450rpm.

Last edited:

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is dbw. 2 cables attach to the passenger side. Not electric.
Then you should be able to probe it with a voltmeter to confirm proper output. The carb cleaner may have contamination a connection.

The carb cleaner may have fouled a connection.

If this test ok, I would put the original front 2 O2 sensors back in and give that a shot. The rear 2 only show the condition of your cats and don't impact performance.

EDIT: After thinking about it the computer is in open loop when cold so I don't t think the O2 sensors should be able to cause this at first start up..

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fixture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing yet. I ran my diagnostics and my TPS still reads 0 even when warm. I havent tested it yet. I am just going to get a new one. I am also going to do a smoke test to rule out completely a vacuum / air leak. I also an wondering if I did get a bad IAC like others have said. Will post what I find asap. 4 cars and no time for them all! ugh.

OP
OP
F

Fixture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok all. I finally got around to replacing the TPS and the IAC again. The TPS seems to be fine, but the new IAC has a metal head on it. I put in on, but the idle will not drop below 1700 rpm. My problem must be not getting a good IAC. Here is a picture of what I took off the car first (left) the one I just took off (middle) and the new one (right). I am going to have to try another one for now. Also I am getting my knock sensor errors again for 1 and 2! I just replaced them 3 months ago. I am done with this truck. ugh
18_172002_e0130f92a95eef79b2014042d0a985ff43738052.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman