Unknown suspension condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roger08LTZ

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2008 4WD Tahoe LTZ with 195,000 miles on it. I bought it 3 or 4 years ago, so most of the history of this vehicle is a mystery. I believe the the relevant RPO Codes are 6H3 7H3 Z55.

It's supposed to have air shocks in the back, but the boots are completely gone. The compressor is in place, but does not appear to work. I believe it's been this way since I got it. It does not sag in the rear. Even once when I towed a heavy trailer a short distance it sagged a bit, but not excessive. This makes me wonder if the rear springs were changed to compensate for the missing air shocks, but everything looks stock. Would the truck ride level empty without functioning air shocks normally?

The Front has electronic shocks that appear to be stock GM. The ride is not that great, I think the shocks are probably original with almost 200K miles on them. Looking at all original GM front & rear Shocks and compressor from Rock Auto i'm looking at $1,500 in parts. Ouch!

I know it's a 2008 with 195,000 miles on it, but there is no rust on this car and we really like it. We only drice it like 4,000 miles per year. I'm willing to invest it it, just looking for opinions on the this. I don't want to raise it or lower it, I just want it to ride and handle decent. I have an F350 Diesel for towing, but this could pinch hit if the truck is offline, but typically I don't tow with this.

What do you guys think?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change the suspension parts out and replace with OEM. Expensive, but the Z55 suspension is definitely worth it, IMO. You may want to consider changing out the front upper and lower control arms (ball joints come with the control arms), since you will have the front suspension disassembled.

Check the part number tag on the rear springs. The correct part number is 25783732.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix it using GM OE parts like Joe and I did to ours and she'll ride great and give you a long service life. Skimp on parts, not so much.

She'll probably need new upper and lower control arms as well.

OP
OP
R

Roger08LTZ

Reaction score
I'm seeing on Rock Auto, For the control arms i'm seeing both GM GENUINE & ACDelco, Aren't they the same? I'm also seeing adjustable ones vs non adjustable ones. I'm thinking the adjustable ones are for raising or lowering the vehicle?

Any good source for the Arnott ones? Saving a few bucks would help as long as I'm not compromising on quality.

So you guys don't like Moog? I always thought Moog was good?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm seeing both GM GENUINE & ACDelco, Aren't they the same?
Not necessarily. AC Delco has a couple different levels. OEM, Gold and Silver. Stay away from Silver. Be leery of Gold. Use OEM.

Any good source for the Arnott ones?

RockAuto, Amazon or Arnott direct have all worked for me. Just depends who has what in stock when I needed it.

I always thought Moog was good?
Moog as various levels just like AC Delco. I can't recall which is which, but others here should be able to provide clarity on that.

OP
OP
R

Roger08LTZ

Reaction score
Change the suspension parts out and replace with OEM. Expensive, but the Z55 suspension is definitely worth it, IMO. You may want to consider changing out the front upper and lower control arms (ball joints come with the control arms), since you will have the front suspension disassembled.

Check the part number tag on the rear springs. The correct part number is 25783732.
Thanks Joseph,

That part number was helpful. Surprisingly to me, my springs still have the sticker on them and I have the 25783732 part number on my springs, so the springs must be stock.

OP
OP
R

Roger08LTZ

Reaction score
One thing that seems strange, I should have a Z55 suspension according to the sticker in the glove box, but my lower control arms are Aluminum, Aren't Aluminum lowers an indication of Z56 police suspension?

As far as I can tell this vehicle was owned by an older couple and no indication anything was Modded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts